Can you recommend a Good BKK Tailor ??

Very, very interesting.

What I'm seeing here are posts from quite a few people who are saying that tailored clothes in Bangkok are a hit and miss often waste of time affair - and I certainly wouldn't disagree.

Even Gulati fashions (who I swear by) managed to cock up my last batch of shirts, which I was not too pleased about. The next batch were right on the button though.

As regular guy said - the tailors shops are just high street agents. The quality of your suit depends on the back street sweatshop. That's where all the suits are made.

Someone recommended Dinos (next to Times Square). Dino is a rip off merchant! He uses exactly the same material that the other tailors use and charges almost 800 baht a shirt when I last enquired 5 years ago. He must be asking for a thousand these days.

He can give me that 'repeat customer' crap till it comes out my ears.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

D&D Tailor ( a lady owns this shop) in the Nana Hotel Lobby has been good for me. Her prices are good and the workmanship is good. She Takes about 1-3 days to make suit. I got shirts for 500baht and pants for 1000baht. Can get 10-15% discount for quanaties.

BB

I made a mistake responding to the wrong post, viz...

Originally posted by Darkhorse:

Thursday, I am back in Pattaya. On my first day i will go for some clothes shopping. Who can recommend a good taylor in pattaya?

---------------------------------------------

Regarding BANGKOK tailors and Thai tailors in general...

Sorry to disappoint you, but I, for one, cannot do that, and will not. All of the Sihk tailors in the tourist shops do not do their own work. They are agents for Thai and Chinese tailors. A suit is such a custom creation I wuld never do fittings through a third party.

There are some good local tailors (take a Thai-speaking friend and give it a few weeks, forget those 24 deals - you'll get crap) further down Sukhumvit, on the south side, around soi 33. I will get my first suit made this next trip, but only from a craftsmen I can see using the scissors at a table with his chaulk in hand. When I get it done I will pass on his name. He's in a Thai part of town (imagine that...)

Good luck. Fussy dressers report that Hong Kong tailors tend to do a much better job of it.

My only experiences in Bangkok getting anything custom made are with Liberty on Sukhumvit and Nana Nua (near Nana Plaza) -- extremely shoddy work, neck way too big for one. I could have bought an off-the-rack of better workmanship. My second experience was with a Thai tailor up near soi 33. Slow but much better workmanship.

• 3 weeks later...

nycdude is correct -- get your custom tailored suits done in Hong Kong. I especially recommend Ash Samtani at 92-94 Nathan Road in Tsim Sha Tsui. He's the top-ranked tailor according to the HKTA Q-mark ratings. And he's not that expensive. A decent suit will run you about US$400. (And no I don't get a commission, I'm just going by past experience.)

Try Boss just up from Soi 4 next to Majestic Suites. Handy Location :-)

I have my complete wardrobe from there...recommendation enough?

But recommending a Tailor is a bit like recommending a BG LOL Satisfaction is all about developing a good relationship :-)

Sid

For a good suit try Broadway at Soi Petchburi 15 (17?), next to Centre Point Petchburi. They make suits for businessmen and Thai government.

Standard suit around 16,000, good one (Ermenegildo Zegna cloth or similar) 30-40,000.

However I'd check out the E Zegna stores first, as it's the fabric that makes it expensive, and if readymades fit you well, it's better to get a readymade.

Why? Because it's cut and made by E Zegna, and not a thai tailor with weird ideas about "fit" or "cut"!

Personally I dislike Boss style, boxy teutonic powersuits don't make it to me. Even some $150 "24 hour" offers look better to my eye :-)

Hi,

why not ask thai GF or a BG for a local tailor outside tourist areas. You'll bring a suit you like (as model), they take measures and then send you to a shop to buy material. After 2-3 days you go testing, small adjustments are made and 1 day later you get your suits.

Result is much better and price is much lower.

• 4 months later...

Avoid the tailor in the Siam Square Novotel. I took a pair of trousers in for him to copy (2 pairs) and the garments he came up with 48 hours later bore no discernible relation to the original, plus if the legs had been any shorter they'd have been great beachwear. I told him to sod off, he shouted loudly at his assistant (I think they're both Egyptian) and said he'd have replacements the next day. The replacements were marginally better but still nowhere near acceptable. I asked for my deposit back, since I was leaving BKK that day, and refused to budge. He finally let me have the strides in exchange for the deposit (500 baht, I think) and I wear them for doing the gardening. Wouldn't be seen dead in them in public.

Conversely, four years ago I got a suit copied in nice wool by the tailor (King's, I think it's called) in the Asia Hotel for 4500 baht and it's my favourite suit, still looks good today.

Hit and miss, then. wink.gif" border="0

All-

I use Raja's Fashions located literally right next door to NEP! On the suggestion and recommedation on a fellow board member.. I went and had four suits (dbl breasted) with double pants, 8 shirts, ties and the work for under US1000

Wears excellent, excellent tailoring.. took them to my US tailor-friend to get a second opinion... excellent work. would recommend to others without reservations!

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Archived