Can you recommend a Good BKK Tailor ??

I've gone to the Boss on Sukumvit at Soi 7, right by the walkover. There quality is great. Prices are a little higher than some of the other places I checked but I went there on a recommendation.

So far no problem with shrinkage on the shirts or pants. Haven't worn the suits much but they feel great when I do.

Can't remember the name of the tailor or the exact pricing. Delivery time varies. They want to fit you a couple of times and I encourage you to take them up on it because you end up with a closer match to your size. Generally 4-5 days was about right.

Be sure to price a package deal and don't forget to get that second pair of pants with the suit if you expect to actually wear it a lot.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I have found James Fashion to be very professional in their approach to selecting fabric and style. Their finished products are well made with an acute attention to detail. Most importantly, the quality of their fabrics is exceptional and the selection abundant. As with anything else, you get what you pay for and for me I spend about $300 to $500 US for a "good" suit. Eighty to ninety percent of the price of the suit should be reflected in the quality of the material. You should also never be fitted less than 2 times, even if you have been there before and have your stats on file. Keep in mind that Armani, Boss, and other popular designer names for fabrics are of moderate quality. There are better quality fabrics available. Ask to see them and feel the difference. All you have to do is ask, but remember that you will have to pay for it. A good suit will last at least 10 years. It may not fit after 5, but it will last. The fit, feel, hang, and flow of the suit relates to the quality of the fabric as well. In James fashion, the higher the floors you go, the better the quality of fabrics, and the more you pay. Don't worry about getting there. Just call them and they will pick you up and drop you off at your hotel anywhere in Bangkok. Expect to spend 2-4 hours there on the first visit for fabric selection and fitting.

When it comes to tailor made suits, I look at it this way. For $300 to $500 US, you are getting a suit of a high quality fabric that will last for 10 years, and is on par with $2,000 to $3,500 suits made in the USA.

James Fashion Internation

Personal Tailor: Lee

Address: 344/2-6 Sukhothai Road

Address: Suanchitlada, Dusit, Bangkok

Phone: 668-6990-3

Fax: 668-6990

e-mail: jamesdusit@usa.net

The tailors are all pretty much the same. What u guys dont realize is that all these retailers are just sales outlets. One sewing factory probably makes the suits for 20-30 retail stores. The same hands from the same factory sewed Oscars, Boss', or James retail stores. All of you guys keep emphasizing the material of the suit. This is a a grey area because if you ask what percentage of polyester or nylon is in the suit, say 5-10% (so it doesnt wrinkle) they really dont know! If you ask what type of wool it is, they will always say "Italian". Jeez, it could have come from Korea for all you know. There are no standards, not laws, no Better Business Bureau or Consumer Affairs. The label on the cloth does not tell you. This is just the easy part. The real quality of a suit is how it is sewed together. Fabric has a "grain" to it and when you piece it together, say the arm to the body, the grain must be in sync. Why? So the suit will hang correctly & elegantly. If you've ever bought a cheap suit for $99, you'll know what I mean. Cheap suits feel wrong for some reason. This is analogous to a car that feels it needs a wheel alignment. Good suits ($600+ Hickey Freeman, Armani, Boss, etc) are pieced together correctly so the suit will hang correctly. These are the finer details of suit making but it does make a difference. I bought a suit on Sukumvit and I knew it was just slapped together real fast by some 50baht/hour seamstress in some large assembly line factory without any real intellgence as to how to make a suit.

Style: They always say its BOSS or Armani. When I got my suit, there's no way it had the Armani or Boss cut! I have 2 or each brands back in the USA. I know the style of both the Armani and Boss very well. The Thai tailored custom suits are just some standard style that follows your body countour. Thus, if you have a dumpy body, their wont make the suit make you look more GQ, instead, the suit will just follow your natural body contour. You'll still look dumpy! (As opposed to buying a real Armani or Boss suit which actually compensates for less than perfect shape).

These are just things to think about when buying a suit. I'm sure some of you will surf the internet for more details on how to buy a custom tailored suit.

The tailors are all pretty much the same. What u guys dont realize is that all these retailers are just sales outlets. One sewing factory probably makes the suits for 20-30 retail stores. The same hands from the same factory sewed Oscars, Boss', or James retail stores. All of you guys keep emphasizing the material of the suit. This is a a grey area because if you ask what percentage of polyester or nylon is in the suit, say 5-10% (so it doesnt wrinkle) they really dont know! If you ask what type of wool it is, they will always say "Italian". Jeez, it could have come from Korea for all you know. There are no standards, not laws, no Better Business Bureau or Consumer Affairs. The label on the cloth does not tell you. This is just the easy part. The real quality of a suit is how it is sewed together. Fabric has a "grain" to it and when you piece it together, say the arm to the body, the grain must be in sync. Why? So the suit will hang correctly & elegantly. If you've ever bought a cheap suit for $99, you'll know what I mean. Cheap suits feel wrong for some reason. This is analogous to a car that feels it needs a wheel alignment. Good suits ($600+ Hickey Freeman, Armani, Boss, etc) are pieced together correctly so the suit will hang correctly. These are the finer details of suit making but it does make a difference. I bought a suit on Sukumvit and I knew it was just slapped together real fast by some 50baht/hour seamstress in some large assembly line factory without any real intellgence as to how to make a suit.

Style: They always say its BOSS or Armani. When I got my suit, there's no way it had the Armani or Boss cut! I have 2 or each brands back in the USA. I know the style of both the Armani and Boss very well. The Thai tailored custom suits are just some standard style that follows your body countour. Thus, if you have a dumpy body, their wont make the suit make you look more GQ, instead, the suit will just follow your natural body contour. You'll still look dumpy! (As opposed to buying a real Armani or Boss suit which actually compensates for less than perfect shape).

These are just things to think about when buying a suit. I'm sure some of you will surf the internet for more details on how to buy a custom tailored suit.

I had suits made at Manhattan and at Tonys- The Manhatten suit was an excellent fit but not as stylish as I would have liked. The Tonys suit does not fit well-just doesn't feel right and the sleeves on the coat are a tad too long and the pants are too tight. But the Suit from Tonys is very stylish and I have received compliments on it.

Its all fake. They tell you the shirts are egyptian cotton but theyre polyester. same with the wool suits. Dont waste your money.

Buy ready made just as my wealthy Thai business associates do. For custom made, you go to Hong kong not BKK. Save your money.

NYCdude is right. The more intelligent educated white collar men in Bangkok never buy custom tailored suits. They just do what we do in America: They go to a good department store and buy a good suit, then have it altered right then and there, then pick it up the next day.

I get the feeling that the custom tailored suit business caters to foreigners only, because the foreigner thinks its cheap to buy in Thailand. Real Thais stick to the dept. stores.

i thought rama thai had good advice - you are paying for the material- i've always beeen pleased with dino on sukhumvit between soi 10 and 12-(229-4412) the owner is a chinese-thai named khun noi- his tailors (also chinese thai) are on the premesis- he does not discount- customers are mostly expat businessmen and wealthy thais - i send $350-400 for really top material- and suits that last-

it's better to buy a couple of high quality suits than 5 or 6 cheap ones

Here’s my experience.

A couple of years back I was in BKK for about 10 days. I went to a retail tailor in the River City mall and was fitted for a suit and a few shirts. I went back for two or three fittings.

I finally went to pick up the stuff and do a last fitting. Things just weren’t right it looked terrible. I told the owner/manager I would trade my deposit for some off the rack cloths but he insisted he would get the problems fixed. Two more tries with him visiting my hotel for fittings and it still looked like shit. In the end I gave the guy the deposit and left him the cloths. I can’t walk around work in a suit that looks like it was made by a 3 year old.

In closing I’ll say my vacation time is worth more to me then saving a few bucks on a cheap suit.

Archived