Olympic Committee Investigates Gymnast's age. (Finally.)

TheCorinthian

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the argument here is whether 14 year olds should be allowed to compete...it's whether only 14 year olds from China should be allowed to compete.

They made a rule for whatever reason, and it appears China has broken that rule. If it's a bad rule, get rid of it, but China should be forced to play by the same rules as the rest of us.

Meanwhile, as to the forced issue...the U.S. tv announcers during the games reported that children are taken away from their parents at the age of 3 in China and only allowed to see their families once a year so their life can be about training for gymnastics. This was used in telling the story of the now leader of the girls team, a 20 year old, who once begged to return home, only to have her family shun her, because she was shaming her family.

I have athree year old daughter and just can't imagine it. Fuckin commies.

How can they tell if a kid has sporting potential at the age of three?

Personally I think it's more a Chinese attitude towards the usage of women as possessions... wives, concubines, servants, rather than anything to do with Communism.

True Communism treats women as equals, anything else if Totalitarianism... Stalin, Mao, Ceasescu, Hoxha... all wanabe Hitlers.

I don't think the argument here is whether 14 year olds should be allowed to compete...it's whether only 14 year olds from China should be allowed to compete.

They made a rule for whatever reason, and it appears China has broken that rule. If it's a bad rule, get rid of it, but China should be forced to play by the same rules as the rest of us.

Negative, Dave. I have posted in this thread that the IOC has investigated and the Chinese have cooperated and they have not found any athlete on the women's gymnastic team under the age of 16. Notice I was team specific as who knows what will happen with other squads.

There are 14 year olds legally competing this year, just not in gymnastics. The minimum age varies by sport. And some sports have a maximum age. Boxers have to be under 40.

I would think who voted for or against this rule had more to do with how they would benefit rather than for the safety of the athletes.

Even though China has been cleared officially, there is a strong suggestion they are pulling a fast one here. Maybe new evidence will be found in the future.

They never investigated before the Olympics. They just accepted the birth date in the Chinese passports. Articles in the Chinese press from 2 years ago indicated their ages being 12 and 13. These articles have been removed from the web and Chinese officials claim the articles were inaccurate.

Neo...I'm very aware there are 14 y/o kids competing in other events. I stated in an earlier post in this thread that age minimums vary by sport. I do disagree with the maximum age. It should be lifted, IMO. If you can pass a physical and make the team, you should not be banned because you're too old.

Shygye...I am noticing now on some websites about what you have stated. The IOC never looked at school records or interviewed any friends or family. Pretty shabby work. Might put a small mark on what has been an otherwise well run event.

<< [color:red]A gymnast must be aged 16 in an Olympic year to compete at the Games.[/color] >>

That's the rule. So what's to argue about? Personal opinions don't matter. There is no wiggle room here.

<< Earlier this month, the AP found registration lists previously posted on the Web site of the General Administration of Sport of China that showed both He and Yang were too young to compete. He was born Jan. 1, 1994, according to the 2005, 2006 and 2007 registration lists. Yang was born Aug. 26, 1993, according to the 2004, 2005 and 2006 registration lists. In the 2007 registration list, however, her birthday has changed to Aug. 26, 1992.

"We played fair at this Olympic Games," Liukin's father and coach, Valeri, said after they arrived back in the United States. "... If somebody cheated, shame on them."

Added Steve Penny, president of USA Gymnastics: "USA Gymnastics has always believed this issue needed to be addressed by the FIG and IOC. An investigation would help bring closure to the issue and remove any cloud of speculation from this competition."

[color:red]Age falsification has been a problem in gymnastics since the 1980s after the minimum age was raised from 14 to 15 to protect young athletes from serious injuries. The minimum age was raised to its current 16 in 1997. Younger gymnasts are considered to have an advantage because they are more flexible and are likely to have an easier time doing the tough skills the sport requires. They also aren't as likely to have a history of injuries or fear of failure.[/color] >>

Link

p.s. Not aimed at the Vegetable, just a general reply.

Archived