Olympic Committee Investigates Gymnast's age. (Finally.)

TheCorinthian

Persistent questions about Chinese, but no proof

By NANCY ARMOUR, Associated Press Writers

1 hour, 43 minutes ago

BEIJING (AP)â??Despite persistent questions about the ages of several members of the Chinese womenâ??s gymnastics team that won the gold medal, the International Olympic Committee said Friday there is still no proof anyone cheated and believes the controversy will be â??put to rest.â?Â

China has again given the governing body of gymnastics documents that show its athletes are eligible, and coach Lu Shanzhen said the girlsâ?? families are â??indignantâ? that the issue wonâ??t go away.

Link

I've read where lots of people already had them being stripped of their gold. Facts are still probably not all in but people should wait before passing judgement.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be desperatly unfair on the young girl if she were to be stripped of her medal (that she won on sheer ability) whilst here are 14 year olds from other countrys competing in the games, UK's Thomas Daley for example. (diving)

There are also other 14 year old's who would have loved to have competed against her and perhaps won.

Idea is for a level playing field.

Other 14 year old divers where allowed to compete - they just didn't make the grade.

In this case other 14 year olds (unless chinese ;) ) where NOT allowed to compete so completely different

Looks can be deceiving. i recall one trip to LOS, overnight stay at Singapore Airport, no real time to go to town and get a hotel to be back for the early morning flight to BBK. The Airport hotel was full as usual.

I found one of those cosy massage beds they have there, and camped. Half way through the night I was woken by two of the most prettiest Asian girls I had ever seen, some small talk (as their English was useless) and back to bed, they look 15 or 16 to me, so no point. I woke up early, the girls were playing cards, they had seen that I had woken up and gestured for me to come and play cards too. Which I did, half a conversation with them and, they were indeed, just as sweet as I had imagined the night before.

Then they told me, "we have to catch flight to Xiaman, must go". For some reason I asked, how old are both of you. One said 27 & the other 29, so, with those sweet pearls from the Orient you can never tell.

Idea is for a level playing field.

Since Nadia Comaneci was just 14 years old when she became a gymnastics star of the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal, how is disqualifying this allegedly 14 year old Chinese gymnast keeping a level playing field?

That was over 30 years ago. Things change over time. For example, the next Olympics will not see women's softball. Nor baseball, if I'm not mistaken.

I believe the minimum age for women's gymnastics is 16. It my have been 14 in 1976 or even younger. And also not all events have the same age requirements.

That's the point I was making, age should not matter, ability is the only thing that should be taken into account regarding eligibility to compete. If age is being used as a 'child protection' issue, then it should be applied equally across all disciplines.

Archived