Deals on Genuine Watches?

I'll be turning forty soon, and in lieu of a Porsche, have decided to get a nice Breitling watch. I can pick one up in Dubai at a fairly decent price, but I thought I would ping the board first to see if anyone had any thoughts about BKK as a potential "bargain capital".

What about it guys--does anyone have some advice on availability/price of genuine watches in BKK?

Hi Bald Eagle!

Genuine watches? in LOS?????

Buy in Dubai - in fact Swiss people buy there.

Then you can buy a good copy in LOS and use that. Last year I bought a chronograph copy of Bretling in Phuket for 2000 baht (normal copy 1600 baht - by the way BG I stayed with there told me that even this is farang price - BG-price is half).

elef crazy.gif" border="0

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: elef ]

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my IWC Fliegerchronograph at Pendulum at Emporiom. I'm pretty sure they would carry Breitling there. I personally find Breitlings ugly. The price I paid was about 2/3's that of the states. If you go to Singapore you'll pay less than Thailand there. Probably pay for your flight in what you save.

quote:

Originally posted by elef:

Hi Bald Eagle!

Then you can buy a good copy in LOS and use that. Last year I bought a chronograph copy of Bretling in Phuket for 2000 baht (normal copy 1600 baht - by the way BG I stayed with there told me that even this is farang price - BG-price is half).

elef
crazy.gif" border="0

You must be made paying that for a piece of plastic.

quote:

Originally posted by elef:

Hi Bald Eagle!

elef
crazy.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Bald Eagle:

I'll be turning forty soon, and in lieu of a Porsche, have decided to get a nice Breitling watch. I can pick one up in Dubai at a fairly decent price, but I thought I would ping the board first to see if anyone had any thoughts about BKK as a potential "bargain capital".

What about it guys--does anyone have some advice on availability/price of genuine watches in BKK?

I would suggest that you look at buying a Zenith El Primero Chronograph (until recently the movement was used in all of the Rolex Daytona watches) with moonphase or IWC Flieger or Doppler before buying a Breitling. If u must purchase a Breitling then buy a KELEK. KELEK makes the movements for Breitling and was recently purchased by Breitling. They still manufacture chronographs under their own name and are beautiful. Breitling to me is ubiquitous, and if you are going to spend some serious cash on a watch then get one that not every average Joe has and cannot be found in the Patpong night market.

I am pretty serious about my watches and I am a novice collector. I never buy my mechanical watches new because of the huge markups. I am currently scouting for a Waldan made of solid rose gold with an El Primero moonphase movement and Breugeut hands. A pure beauty!

Regards,

JJSUSHI

(I will never buy a Rolex but I will wear one if it's a gift!)

Bought a RADO watch in BKK 2 years ago.

Prices where comparable with the tax-pree price at Amsterdam or Johannesburg. Bought it in a good watch shop in the world trade centre.

Service is lousy. My bracelet was defective after 8 months and did go back. Complained that this is not supposed to fal apart after 8 months, but no-one can make a decision about he guarantee. "We have to send it to RADO", they said. "How long does that take", I asked. One week. Howly cow, i'm not buying a 40k watch to run around for one week without it! I wear my watch day and night, even in the shower and when swimming! No way of getting better service. Called RADO in BKK, same story.

After all just ordered the defective part, took two weeks to arive and another 2k.

But anyway, I have to accept it since i'm living in BKK amd cannot go to my home country to fix my watch. But when you can buy it tax-free in your own country with alien service levels, do it instead of buying in Bangkok.

I would recommend you try Pendulum at the Emporium. I bought a Jaeger LeCoutre for 2/3 the price I would pay for one in Miami. And they are also a unique watch every Joe doesn't have. The company has a long history dating back to the early 1800's. I agree with a former poster that Breitlings are ugly. You can buy them almost everywhere, they are 1/2 inch thick, and overpriced. IMHO

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: mapper ]

Archived