Devastating Ike roars ashore in Galveston, Texas

TroyinEwa/Perv

"The unfortunate truth is we're going to have to go in ... and put our people in the tough situation to save people who did not choose wisely. We'll probably do the largest search and rescue operation that's ever been conducted in the state of Texas," said Andrew Barlow, spokesman for Gov. Rick Perry.

[color:blue]This is going to be horrible when it's all over and I'm not trying to negate the losses these people will have but.......why don't they listen? And why should we put people in harm's way and spend money to save them and their belongings when the were under the same mandatory evacuation other people were under that left? Sad all the way around.[/color]

Link

Same as the folks that ignored the call to evacuate before Katrina.

Ike and Katrina are two completely different situations. The devastation wrought by Katrina was caused by the United States federal government and in particular by President Bush. Ike, in stark contrast, is a hurricane.

Same as the folks that ignored the call to evacuate before Katrina.

Ike and Katrina are two completely different situations. The devastation wrought by Katrina was caused by the United States federal government and in particular by President Bush. Ike' date=' in stark contrast, is a hurricane.[/quote']

For once I can defend Bush, the responsibility was IMO U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

For once I can defend Bush, the responsibility was IMO U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

It was not the Corps of Engineers who prevented New Orleanians from evacuating ahead of Katrina. Nor did the Corps cause those remaining N.O. residents to run wild in the streets as soon as civil authority broke down.

Also, please remember that during Katrina the MSM told us that New Orleanians couldn't evacuate because they were so poor. Now for both Gustav and Ike there have been massive evacuations (and some who refused to leave) but there has been not one word spoken of people who couldn't evacuate in either case. Did all these folks in this same part of the country all suddenly become richer?

Remember Katrina destroyed more than New Orleans. NOLA gets all the press, but the Mississippi gulf coast was overwhelmed by a 25-30 foot storm surge.The government had nothing to do with that, although they bumbled their response to the ninth degree. If one thinks they can survive a storm surge like that needs to put on their superman suit. Some folks just won't listen,like the 40% of the population of Galveston that refused to evacuate. Must have that "it won't be that bad" attitude. No damn common sense. They'll find bodies for weeks.

I'm very familar with the actual pattern of destruction from Katrina. I grew up on the Gulf Coast and my uncle lives near Biloxi, MS. (His house was totalled by Katrina and he has since rebuilt on the same spot.) I followed Katrina and the aftermath very closely.

I disagree with you about the Federal response to Katrina. I think it was ok to good on the ground, about what I would expect. The city of N.O. and the State of Louisiana fucked the dog but when you put clowns in charge that's what you get. The Fed's mistake was that they allowed themselves to be rolled politically by the left and the media over their Kartina response. They should have fought back earlier and harder.

I agree that those who stay are fools and have brought suffering onto themselves. My point is that this is equally true in every hurricane but the coverage of this issue with respect to Ike and Gustav has been markedly different as compared to how those who failed to evacuate in the face of Katrina were treated.

Agreed. Mississippi fared much better in the federal response, thanks to the governor's ties in Washington. New Orleans on the other hand, had to deal with a clown for a mayor, and languished for months with no local or federal plan for dealing with the destruction caused by Katrina. I went to Mardi Gras seven months after Katrina, and NOLA was a shell of it's former self, whereas the MS gulf coast was already rebuilding. There's still about a third of the residents of New Orleans who have not returned, many from the 9th Ward. BTW, I was born and raised on the gulf coast and have been through dozens of hurricanes, including Camille in 1969 with it's 210 MPH winds.

Archived