Panthip install question

Coss

Gentlemen, were I to bring a laptop i.e. Toshiba Portege from middle earth, I wonder, would a Panthip vendor be able to do a Thai install of the world's favourite XP OS and associated Office suite, and what this may cost?

I'm quite at home with Macs but all the drivers and stuff Windows require are a mystery to me.

Or, is an English install of Windows able to "go native" by changing the language preferences to Thai somewhere?

Any help, experiences or other comment is welcome and gratefully received.

Cheers

Coss

I partitioned the HD, 1/2 for English and 1/2 (in my case) Japanese. I installed XP (English) OS and XP (Japanese) OS on the same HD but different partitions.

Works fine. I would say to do the same, just install XP Thai OS on a separate partition.

I am sure that they can do at Pan Tip, ground floor.

What gobblegonk has pointed you at is the ability to dynamically switch between Thai and English via hotkey. This will allow you to type in Thai characters and read whatever you are doing in Thai. That will allow for Thai input for most programs including the Office Suite. You will also be able to user browsers (both IE and Foxfire) in Thai, although you might have to hit the encoding switch in their controls at some time as well.

I have done this many times for my girls when using an English XP edition. If you get a Thai XP edition, I believe you will get a lot of the popups and messages, etc, in Thai as well, but that will mean using an almost exclusively Thai language OS, or partitioning or setting up a dual boot machine if you have need of English.

If this is for a Thai person, or for yourself if you are going to read and write in Thai script, you should (since you said you already have a laptop) get a bunch of sticky Thai labels to stick to the keys so that it maps the keyboard, or do as I did, buy a Thai keyboard in Thailand (200 baht at Big C)and simply attach it to the laptop when you want to input Thai characters. I found the second a better solution.

Archived