My Fear About This Financial Crisis

Steve

For a while now the U.S. government as well as the states have been itching to 'tax the internet'.

They want to impose a sales tax (and I think there are some instances now) to Ebay and other sellers/buyers on the net.

Its a way for the government to tap into a lucrative source of money.

I am surprised it hasn't been proposed already. There is the 'moratorium' on taxing the internet and they trot it out when its due to see if they can enact it and test the waters and the public backlash drives them back...for now.

This crisis is a perfect opportunty for the congress to say its needed. If it happens in the U.S. you know the UK, Oz, Europe, are not far behind as well.

I think its inevitable. The moratorium is just their way of waiting for the right moment. The government can wait us out. The Patriots Act was a finished document waiting for the right moment. Taxing the internet fully is going to go the same route.

Taxing online gambling is next or coming up with a way to get in on it more than what they are doing now. The uproar the government has about that is that they can't get in on the fun. They use the possibility of kids using their parents credit card as an excuse to take interest. Its all BS.

I don't care who gets elected and what ever party is in Congress, the goverment will tap into revenue from sources they didn't prior.

Fees will skyrocket. There are certain fees they know people will pay whatever is needed. Green cards, citizenship, etc. Doesn't matter if you make the cost of a green card (I 97 form I think its called) a thousand or two thousand people will pay it. Same with the N400 form to be a citizen. That fee was about 3 or 4 hundred a few years ago and its almost $700 now. I wouldn't be suprised if that fee broaches a grand. People will pay it to become a citizen.

The cost of a passport has gone up 4X, since GWB.

My fear is that the wrong lesson is learned. The right lesson is that you have to limit the leverage. Whether that financial institution is bank, brokerage, hedge fund, insurance agency, etc. Too much leverage amplifies the bad times many fold. :twocents::twocents:

But will Congress do this when it will also limit the boom times?

More stupidity from Washington DC...these morons need to tighten their belts like we all do!

How about some pay and benefits cuts?

The morons let the country go into economic ruin an now they expect the taxpayer to bail "them" out!

I say, no more free spending! Washington DC must be accountable for their screw ups and they must pay the price, not the taxpayers!!!

Archived