another year goes by

sayjann

My grandmother got rid of all sorts of things I wanted. My grandfather had lied about his age and enlisted in the National Guard before WWI. He was just 14, and made corporal at 15. He had photos of himself in uniform, panorama photos of Fort Benjamin Harrison with mounted cavalry and horse drawn wagons, all sorts of stuff like that from around 1908-1910. Why the hell would she get rid of things like that?

:(

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a lot from my dad. He sent it home during the war. A bit got "lost" in the Army mail, grabbed by some mail clerk for himself. Nobody seems to have liked the buggers for that reason. He couldn't bring home weapons though. He told me he had a German sniper rifle he'd loved to have kept. No way to bring it home though, so he had to destroy it.

Was easier for my grandpa -> he just had a few hundre kilometers to do to go back home, he was in Germany when the war ended, so from there to Belgium it wasn't that difficult compared to having to go back to the US...

Was able to bring back some "souvenirs" including some "souvenirs" from American GI who came back a few years later to take these back to the US.

From what my grandmother described the cave became a nice little armory for some time...

among the most significant trophies was an MG 42 and an MG 34...

I never understood how the US lads were able to bring that back to the US after the war.

my Uncle was in the SAS and stationed in Finland saving the Western World from the Ruskies.

at Weekends they used to meet up in a local tavern and drink the night away.

he aquired some sort of pistol and i await it being a legacy to me when i die.

i saw it last Year and it's a beautiful piece of equipment.

i was in Berlin on the Weekend that West and East became united and while at the Wall i chatted to Russian soldiers.

they saw the writing on the wall and were selling off equipment.

i bought one of those fur hats with the ear flaps for about 20 Marks.

i still use it to this Day going to and fro work.

keeps my head lovely and warm..............

Archived