Loy Krathong...the aftermath

rookie

After viewing the Loy Krathong celebrations at Jomtien beach, I headed home and went to bed.

About 1am I was awakened by the loud and incoherent screaming of a girl. Still in a drowsy state, I had no idea where the sounds were coming from. I listened some more and realized they were from inside my building, but as the building has air shafts through the height of the structure, extremely loud sounds can carry from the adjacent floors.

No, these sounds were too loud! They were coming from the hallway. I put on a pair of shorts and went to look in the hall. A few doors down saw Olaf, a farang neighbor, was outside his open condo door and in the middle of the corridor, sitting atop and trying to control his writhing and screaming long-time wife. He was wearing only a shirt and his underwear; she was in a nightgown. He was doing his best to control her flailing arms and kicking legs. Her loud screams were nonstop and soon some other neighbors opened their doors to view the spectacle.

I approached Olaf, as he was struggling with the gal, and he said 'she is crazy' and pleaded with me to call the police or an ambulance. I said I'd go get security, but he insisted on my calling the police or ambulance. I returned to my room, putting on some clothes and headed to the elevator, intending to contact security on the first floor. As the elevator opened another farang exited with two of the security guards. We all walked back to trashing couple. One of the security guards started hollering at the gal in Thai. Soon her screaming and flailing began to abate and she finally stopped, much to the relief of the onlookers. Then, as if nothing had happened, they both stood up. The gal wai'ed the onlookers and the couple quietly returned to their room.

It was bizarre...or maybe just an indication of the communication difficulties which can occur between two different cultures.

Archived