Couples canâ??t afford to get divorced

Steve

To begin on a serious note, divorce is very costly, certainly in the US, and it can be very damaging for couples to remain together as their relationship get worse and worse and worse. It is especially damaging for children, if the couple has children.

Just before I left the US to move to Thailand, I had a friend who was separated from his wife, who had just decided to go back. This particular guy happened to be fairly wealthy. He had a $500M home in Boulder, CO (equal to a $3 or $4 million home in LA), a BMW, top of the line Harley, etc. (Ohh, and their were 2 teenage children involved). Anyway, I lost all respect for this guy because I knew after 20 years of marriage he had lost all respect for his wife, didn't even like her.

If he did not return to his wife, she would have gotten the house, a large monthly alimony payment, large monthly child support for the 2 children and he would have been reduced to middle class without expensive toys, fine wines, the best restaurants....

So, his choice was to return, emotionally damage his wife (since he looked down on her and I am sure she would have felt his disdain), emotionally damage his children (subjected to parents engaged in mutually destructive warfare) and be unhappy himself.

But, he couldn't face up to the financial cost.

Of course many couples of more modest means, would be facing a financial survival if they were to divorce. But, the dynamics are the same - the couples will become involved in mutually destructive, emotional warfare, the children will suffer... very sad!!

On a less serious note, after 4 years in Thailand, I am SHOCKED!!! I thought only Thai women were influenced by financial considerations in romantic situations!!

Or how about, perhaps some of these women who would like to divorce but can't due to financial reasons, could get a bridge loan from Michael Jordan's ex, who received $150 million in the divorce settlement!!

One of the first job interviews I had when I came first came to LA was a firm that set up off shore bank accounts. The boss said a good portion of the clients were guys who were planning on leaving their wives and slowly liquidating assets, moving the money off shore to locales that would not honor requests from U.S. courts.

I also heard stories of American expats in Thailand who liquidated assets as well and moved it overseas, filed for divorce. Defied the court order and left the wife with nothing or very little. She'd get the house if she was lucky. Sometimes he would take a huge second mortgage on the house and pocket that money as well.

Archived