Thai Banks

I use Siam City Bank - I dunno about the interest I get on my money as I only use the account as a "transit point!" when in Thailand, so it is not important to me.

The main reason I use them is they have a small branch (not just an exchange booth) in Chaweng on Koh Samuii.

They also have a branch at the Ploenchit Shopping Centre - (the place with the McDonalds near Nana Plaza).

I have just checked my bank statements and see that the Nat-West were charging me £20 each time to transfer money, which although meant to be for same day value always arrived 3/4 WORKING days later (probably because of the currency conversion) and the exchange rates I was getting were on a par with those available in Thailand.

BTW I always told the UK bank to send the sterling amount and left the conversion up to the Siam City Bank.

I beleive that they are also in Pattaya (as well as loads of places elsewhere) - but as I have never used the bank their I cannot confirm this!

Also they are owned by the Govt (they have tried afew times to sell it, but no-one wants to buy them!) so your money SHOULD be safe........ but don't quote me on this

smile.gif" border="0

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I did a deposit on the Bangkok Bank account of my gf and I had to pay an extra 50 baht charges because I was in an other province or city than where the account is hold. I find this rather stupid!

I also noticed a 10 baht charge for withdrawels, could be for the same reason.

I hold an account at Siam Commercial Chumpon branch, did a deposit without charges at a Bangkok branch. I do withdrawels at the local branch here without charges.

Any other experience with charges?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived