Thai Banks

Does anyone have any recommendations for Farang friendly banks (Bangkok Bank, Thai Farmers etc), and the cheapest way to transfer funds from the UK into them?

Thanks in advance

Bangkok Bank, the Bankapi branch, on Sukhumvit at the Nana skytrain station is most farang friendly (but I gather all banks are -- or should I say $-friendly smile.gif" border="0).

Bangkok Bank is Thailands biggest bank -- and when open an account you'll receive an ATM card on the spot. Furthermore, Bangkok Bank will not send statements etc by mail, if you so wish. This is convenient if you don't have a permanent adress in Thailand. However, Bangkok Bank has no internet service -- but I'm sure this is soon to change...

Transfer of money: Is there any better way than using the SWIFT wire system?

Straycat

I have used both Bangkok Bank & Thai Farmers and found both to be good. The TF seems a lot more advanced on the net these days. That being said I find the easiest way to get money transferred into Thailand for amounts of not more than US$500 per day is to simply use a foreign ATM card (with Cirrus network or the like). A lot cheaper in some cases than a wire transfer to a Thai bank, and I can see where the money is being withdrawn on the net whenever I want.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

While Bank of Asia may give farang the same interest rate as Thais, it is still a pittance. As far as customer service, forget it. At least the branch by the Landmark. No one speaks English. Any special services requires you to wait while everyone else gets serviced first.

I recently had an ATM withdrawal attempt (that failed) actually hit my bank account. Had to fill out a form to get it reinstated. Unfortunately the form was only available in Thai. To their credit, my account was credited over the weekend.

Not to mention, they recently allowed me a THB30,000 withdrawal without show of a passport. Passbook enough. Kinda dangerous if you ask me.

All-

I've been using TFB.. set up my account at the Ratburana (main) branch.. several people who speak excellent english (if you need some advanced help)... also TFB has an excellent website for e-banking..

When in the US I can also use TFB's Los Angeles International Branch (350 S Grand) to make deposits, inquire or such...

Overall and very-farang friendly bank (IMHO)

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

• 4 weeks later...

Any knowledge of how Siam banks are and if they are farang friendly?

When withdraw money on Siam ATM I get much better exchange rate than other banks ATM.

/A

[ January 13, 2002: Message edited by: Andrew ]

Archived