Thai govt, protesters reject army's peace plan

cavanami

The democratically elected gov't should be the one in charge and they need to do what it takes to reopen the airport ASAP.

Yep. Government House recovery should've been done weeks ago...with as much force as necessary to get the message out. Failure to act only emboldened the "anti" elements.

HH

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If an elected government finds it can not rule the usual response is to resign and hold on election on the issue.

That is what happened in the UK in '74 when the miners pushed Heath into a corner. He resigned (and lost) when he could not resolve the issues. If he had won (as Thatcher did years later) he could have been much stronger with those destabilising the country with strikes.

Somchai should resign and say this is about the elected government being able to rule. He should say "When I win again I expect the army and police to support me and enforce law and order: to it's fullest meaning!"

For one thing, they don't like Mr T or Somchai. For another, they realise that appearing to taking sides is not going to help them in the long run.

Remember that:

1) The military staged a coup 2 years ago and accomplished almost nothing except to damage their own reputation.

2) The police did what Somchai told them - killing several people and injuring hundreds. Now everyone blames them for the casualties, not Sondhi or Somchai.

Archived