How I flew back to Pattaya

eyebee

I was on a short holiday to visit robaus in Australia, and was due to return yesterday (28th). I had a confirmed flight from Perth to KL on Air Asia, and from KL to Bangkok, again on Air Asia.

When I got to KL and presented my ticket, they told me that I couldn't go to BKK (obviously), but said they could put me on a plane anywhere else. After toying with the idea of Ulaan Bataar, I decided on Phuket, figuring I might get the Bangkok Air flight to U-Tapao.

I get to Phuket about 1:30 and go to the Bangkok Airways desk. I ask about flights to U-Tapao. "Last flight today at 2:45 but all flights full until December 3rd", I am told. "Can I go on the stndby list for today?", I ask. "OK, but must pay first, and four people already on standby."

I pay for the ticket (3,800 baht), and wait. The plane is delayed until 3:10 - but finally I am told I have a seat. Whew!

We get to U-Tapao about 4:45, and it is packed! 4 jumbos were diverted from Suvarnabhumi, arriving at about the same time, and they have 2 customs officers on duty! Still, I forgive them as U-Tapao is not used to this, and those of us from Phuket were guided through unhindered(as it was a domestic flight).

More was to come however. U-Tapao has just one luggage carousel. If you've ever been to a British Pub on a Saturday night, when people are queueing up five-deep at the bar - that's what it felt like. I couldn't even see the belt, let alone get to my luggage.

However, Bangkok Air arranged for our luggage to be brought out through a side door, so we got it sooner than those on the jumbos!

Once outside the airport, there was more chaos. Masses of tour busses, taxis, private cars and people everywhere. I managed to find the Bangkok Air bus to Pattaya (cost 250 baht), and finally arrived home at 6:30. Only 5 hours late!

My question is: can I claim my extra costs of 4,000 baht from PAD? :neener:

yeah very constructive action coupled with a bit of luck.

I wasn't really aware of this route, but based on this Phuket would be the best gateway to BKK currently as e.g. Chaing Mai doesn't have any pattaya links as far as I know?

OK officially the waiting list is rather long on utapao flights & the the price seem steep too, but in practice it seems worth a shot for the ones complaning about being stuck overseas?

Cheers!

Archived