Ancient Temples and Ruins of Thailand (pics)

Central Scrutinizer

OK, let's try this. One place I really enjoyed and thought one of the most spectactular places was Sukhothai. Not only is the ruins complx beautiful and extensive, with many outerlying small temples and ruins to see, but the drive up was very impressive due to the moutainous area views and many jungle preserves along the way. Some very nice views up there. Here are some pics.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I added a few pics of the scenery as well. The drive up into the mountains to get to Sukhothai is one of the added attractions to going to see these amazing ancient ruins of this once grand city. When I saw the ruins, and how vast they were, and the rugged area surrounding the place, I was struck as to how awe inspiring this capital must have been at the height of its power and glory. It just staggered me as to how much labor, manpower and material went into to building the place at a time before mechanical building equipment. It truly is an amazing site to see in Amazing Thailand.

I'd suggest visiting during the cooler months. Also, get out of the main complex and drive on some of the roads leading out of there to find many smaller ruins and temples dotting the landscape that are definitely worth a look (that pic of the huge buddha was one of the many places outside the actual city ruins as were a few others I've shown here).

There are lots of cheap hotel rooms around the area. Inside the complex there are plenty of stalls selling refreshments and food. It is very well maintained and groomed, very parklike and clean. Along the highway leading up to Sukhothai there are some nice viewpoints with bathrooms and food stalls at viewing points that offer an excellent view of the countryside.

Give it a go. I'm sure you'll have a good time and have a bit of an adventure looking into the past glory that was once a part of ancient Siam.

Some history on the Sukhothai era for those interested here.

It is believed the Thai people originated some 4,500 years ago in the mountain area of present-day Mongolia. Subsequent migrations took them to South China where they formed a kingdom called Nanchao and from South China to the Indo-Chinese peninsula.

The southward migration received marked impetus during the time of Kublai Khan who was rapidly expanding his empire towards Southern China during the 13th century, resulting in a quite numerous Thai population in a region where Khmers and Mons were the established settlers.

Thais settled in various parts of the north of what is today Thailand and established city states which were not much connected to each other. In the middle of the 13th century, two Thai princes in the Sukhothai area, Phor Khun Pha Muang of Muang Rad and Phor Khun Bang Klang Thao of Muang Banyang combined their forces and fought off the Khmers who commanded an extensive empire on the Indo-Chinese empire at that time.

They drove the Khmers out of Sukhothai, then a major frontier post of the Angkorian (Khmer) Empire, and established it as their capital in 1238. Phor Khun Bang Klang Thao, urged by the people to be King, was enthroned with the royal title of Phor Khun Si Sri Inthrathit.

Sukhothai became the first kingdom where before smaller Thai principalities had existed, mostly under Khmer overrule. Thais today view Sukhothai as the cradle of the Thai nation. King Si Sri Inthrathit had two sons, Phor Khun Ban Muang and Phor Khun Ramkhamhaeng. After his death, Phor Khun Ban Muang, succeeded him first. His brother, Phor Khun Ramkhamhaeng, ascended the throne in 1278 and reigned for 40 years.

One of Thailand's greatest warriors, King Ramkhamhaeng made Sukhothai a powerful and extensive kingdom which included many parts of what are today neighboring countries. King Ramkhamhaeng opened direct political relations with China and made two trips to China - the first in 1282 to visit the Emperor Kublai Khan and the second in 1300 after Kublai Khan's death.

From the second visit he brought back Chinese artisans who taught the Thais the art of pottery. Today the old Sangkhalok potteries are eagerly sought by collectors. A major achievement of King Ramkhamhaeng was the revision of various forms of Khmer alphabets into a system suitable for the writing of Thai words. The Thai alphabet of today is the same as the one Ramkhamhaeng invented in 1283.

Thais today have a romantic perception of Sukhothai as a kingdom of happiness. Actually, this perception is partially based on historic records. A famous stone inscription reads in part: "This Muang Sukhothai is good. In the water there are fish, in the field there is rice. The ruler does not levy a tax on the people who travel along the road together, leading their oxen on the way to trade and riding their horses on the way to sell. Whoever wants to trade in elephants, so trades. Whoever wants to trade in horses, so trades. Whoever wants to trade in silver and gold, so trades".

King Ramkhamhaeng also promoted religion and, through his efforts, Buddhism became strongly embedded in Thai culture, giving birth to classic forms of Thai religious arts. Images of Buddha sculptured during the Sukhothai era are cultural treasures which impart a feeling of peace and serenity.

A total of eight kings ruled Sukhothai. The gradual decline of Sukhothai occurred during the reigns of the last two kings. The end of this first Thai Kingdom came in 1365 when it was degraded into a vassal state of Ayutthaya, the young and rising power to the south.

The modern city used to have a reputation for gangsters. One of my colleagues was at the ruins when he saw a thief grab a Thai gal's handbag and run. Her boyfriend drew a pistol and shot at the thief. The thief drew his own gun and fired back. My colleague had to hit the dirt during a gunfight! A Peace Corps vol teacher in Sukhothai was stopped by gunmen on the highway who took his motorcycle, money, camera and shoes.

Since then the police have supposedly cleaned up the town. What they did was go on a rampage and shoot all of the gangsters. :)

Archived