Ancient Temples and Ruins of Thailand (pics)

Central Scrutinizer

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wat Sri Choom used to be a lot of fun in the 1970s, before the historical park was established. Thai kids would sell you a candle to find your way through the passage to the top, but it was more enjoyable to stumble along in the dark like David Balfour in "Kidnapped". :)

Nowadays, I believe there are electric lights installed. :(

The ancient city of Sri Satchanalai is not far to the north and retains more of the "lost city in the jungle" feeling. The farmers used to sell you 13th and 14th century pottery they'd dug up from kilns that had collapsed and never been opened before. Bet that's a no-no nowadays.

Flash,

Now this is what I like about this site. I had not even heard of this park and the ruins there. It now gives me another reason to make a trip up there to see this one day in the next few months. The exchange of info is the greatest strength of this site, along with the good friendly people using the board. Thanks for that info, Flash. This sounds like a great place to visit for a bunch of reasons.

Cent

------------

Sri Satchanalai National Park in Sukhothai

Sri Satchanalai National Park

Sukhothai

Sukhothai is generally recognised as a place of historical significance. However, it is also home to a very beautiful National Park. Sri Satchanalai National Park is around 300 acres of flowers, greenery and wildlife with mountains throughout the parks length. One of the focal points of the park is Tad Dao â?? a 40-meter high waterfall. Others are Kang Kao cave, Tad Dean Waterfall and Pong Nam Dean. The one of the highest peaks in the park is Wang Chang which offers some tremendous views from its summit. The park also houses a number of ruins, comparable to those available at Sukothai Historical Park, although of another era. Although a World Heritage site like Sukothai Historical Park, Sri Satchanalaiâ??s ruins are not as well restored, but this adds to the its charm and authentic feel. Some of the key sites to visit inside the park include:

â?¢ Wat Chang Lom

â?¢ Wat Khao Phanon Phloeng

â?¢ Wat Chedi Jet Thaew

â?¢ Wat Nang Phaya

â?¢ Wat Phra Si Ratanan Mahatat

â?¢ Wat Chao Chan

â?¢ Chaliang - an ancient city to the southeast of the park with two temples

Details: The park is open 08:00 to 18:00 and admission is 40 Baht. If you are have a vehicle you will be charged for that, too. The fees are 40 Baht for a car, 30 Baht for a motorcycle and 10 Baht for a bicycle.

How to get there: The following buses will get you there from Sukothai town:

Bus number: 27B

Air-conditioned Bus Number: 38B

Sri Satchanalai National Park

P.O.Box 10 Tambol Bannkang

Amphur Sri Satchanalai

Sukothai Province

Tel: (055) 619-214-5

Archived