Abhisit voted as the 27th prime minister

waerth

I am getting good vibes from this. Everyone I met today/spoke to (Thais) seem relieved it looks like its over.

Many people from Isaan that I met say they still like Thaksin but they feel this is the best solution to move foreward (the people I spoke to are from Mukdahan, Udon Thani and Khorat so do not necessarily reflect the opinions of everyone in the NE).

Now lets hope comedy picks up again. In November we had quite a few shows. And my boss said we would have quite a few in December. But when I arrived on December 1st it had become quiet. Even a number of our Bangkok regular haunts canceled us because of no customers. And Rama IX cafe was unusually quiet for this time of the year in the past two weeks.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would surprise me if the 'red' shirts can make the same hiss as the yellow shirts. The red shirts don't seem to have the same back up as Sondhi c.s. had.

Just for that reason I can see them pulling off the same kind of 'disobedience' but not maintain it for long.

If I am the new PM, I make a trip to Isaan and have a chat with the people, "...what can I do for you...", make some inroads.

WTF, this is not rocket science! You are an elected official to help the people, ALL the people!

HUGE chance here to get LOS moving forward...

Did you ever see the posters and billboards for Chawalit's party, New Aspirations? They actually said "Isaan for Khon Isaan". Great slogan for a supposedly national party.

I'm with wearth - the feeling of this PM is somewhat different & I give it a fair chance of lasting longer than any of the 2 last PMs (cover: seriously say he'll last the full term (some 3years left I think) :up: .

Of course it's an uphill task, but I think he can do it if he really wants/tries a bit... :angel:

If he can get enough "breathing space" to start implementing some reforms -> if said reforms please the companies and other major actors -> he might then get sufficient backing so as to be able to stand against his "allies"....

Best wishes to him and to Thailand

Bangkok Post

17 Dec 2008

Pracha looks after number one

Puea Pandin leader Pol Gen Pracha Promnok raised several eyebrows yesterday when he cast a vote for himself, instead of abstaining as is the custom. Journalists in a press room monitoring the vote gasped in collective awe when the former police chief uttered "Pracha Promnok" during the roll call.

Candidates nominated for the prime ministers post and the House Speaker traditionally abstain.

Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva and House Speaker Chai Chidchob yesterday both abstained from voting.

It was speculated Pol Gen Pracha decided to vote for himself because he was unsure if he would receive adequate support, as proved to be the case.

Hours before the crucial vote, both candidates could still not be sure of the outcome. But the Democrat Party seemed to have a psychological upper hand.

Four small parties and a faction earlier held a press conference to voice support for Mr Abhisit. And members of Friends of Newin, a breakaway faction from the dissolved People Power party, were seated in a strategic position, surrounded by Democrat MPs during the vote.

Appointed Senator Prasarn Maruekpitak disagreed with Pol Gen Pracha's breaking from the traditional practice.

His view was echoed by former senator Chirmsak Pinthong.

"We should let others say whether or not we are fitted for the post. We do not say it ourselves," Mr Chirmsak said.

Archived