Bar Closure - New Year

Gadfly

Okay, my bad, sort of. Seems you were referring to hotel bars as opposed to bar bars, at least as far as your sources went. A later post from Stick suggested that bar owners were telling him that they would have to be dry but could open. Not sure if these were bar bars or hotel bars.

Presume from the lack of recent other comment though that all has ben as normal in these pre-election times.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, from my earlier post: the 2-4 January closing pertain to the pre-election for the MPs that were disqualfied, and none of those MPs are from Bangkok. Unless the local officials here in Bangkok are interpreting the election laws creatively, Bangkok should be fine for the upcoming weekend. That is, the weekend that is ending now, this Sunday.

I heard they wont' be able to serve alcohol - at least officially - tonight (Saturday). This, of course, means its up to whatever arrangement has been reached with those responsible for enforcing this rule. And then the bar owners need to decide if it is worth staying open. It's only one night - tonight.

I asked a few BGs, and I got 'dear caught in the headlight looks' of panic. One mama-san she did not know, and another was adamant they would be opened, but then winked as she said they would not be serving alcohol.

The bar owners and the tourism sector has been hammered this year. On the other hand, the weather is excellent now, and I saw more customers in the nighttime venue last night that I have probably seen for the past nine months. If this is an upswing out of a tough period, perhaps they'll want to stay open to make the best of the situation as they can.

Any bar owners know for sure?

Archived