Bar Closure - New Year

Gadfly

There's dog catcher elections coming up in the Big Mango, and here is the first round of scheduled bar closures:

· On January 02, 2009 (Friday) from 18.00 hrs, till 24.00 hrs, on January 4, 2009 (Sunday).

· On January 10, 2009 (Saturday) from 18.00 hrs, till 24.00 hrs, on January 11, 2009 (Sunday).

That's right: for anyone who - after the airport closures and other dysfunctions we have seen here the past year - is flying in to Thailand to celebrate the New Year in Bangkok, this is what you can expect.

Competent Thai authorities are deeply concerned about the tourism industry, which employs so many from the Northeast, and to show their concern, they are...ehr... closing the bars the weekend after the New Year. And the following weekend as well.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone know why the first round of closures has an extra day in it if the op is correct?

To ensure even more people are denied their fun and to reduce even further the income of those already suffering from the current difficulties.

Fair enough!

Bar closures are now required for "pre-elections" and the pre-election closures are longer because they require travel.

My source on this are emails from and between owners of large branded hotels. I am obviously not going to mention names. (I don't have, and don't want to have, MiB sources.)

Anyone in the "industry" with MiB sources who can say what they are hearing?

At some point, and I don't see that point in the near horizon (but one can hope), those in a position of authority here should give these regulations a serious re-think. I am not sure what they are intended to accomplish (sober voters?), but they clearly don't work.

All they do is inflict more harm on Thailand's already suffering tourism sector and make Thailand the butt of even more jokes about ludicous non-sensical laws that are only half-heartedly enforced and primarily used as a means to fuel graft.

Anyway, back on point, what are those in the industry hearing from their MiB sources?

More often than not, bar owners and managers don't know until the day in question arrives and the police bring notices around as to whether or not they can open and under what restrictions such as no girls out front or no music.

Anybody who thinks the powers on high give even the minutest consideration to the effects their edicts have on the income of Issan bar girls or the discontent of their intended customers has a shaky grip on reality.

Anybody who thinks the powers on high give even the minutest consideration to the effects their edicts have on the income of Issan bar girls or the discontent of their intended customers...

Agree. But the total disconnect between (a) the government's announcements about its intent to do the utmost to protect and promote tourism following the airport closure, etc. and (B) the government's actual policy is worth comment.

I am hearing about the bar closures from several large hotels. They have been told in advance when they are not permitted to sell alcoholic beverages. And the only reason I am hearing about it because the closures have created so much consternation among the major hotel operators that their concerns about this will affect their bottom lines - which are suffering badly now - are out in the open.

The major hotels on Sukhumvit are generally fully (100%) book this time of the year. They are now around 20-30%. They are suffering tremendously, and with it, so is the Thai economies. And now this happens.

Will they complain? Probably. Will that change policy. Probably not. Will it lead to some serious discussion and consideration of sensible policies. We can only hope, but probably not.

In any event, you can all probably guess the source my information, judge its veracity and make your holiday plans accordingly. The rest is just my editorial comments, for what it is worth.

Perhaps because they have been told they have to close. And perhaps because they realize that closures, in general around New Year's celebrations, are not good for business.

I have PM'd you my sources for this information and some excerpts of the comments about the closures. It is specific, from several major foreign branded hotels, and the comments are sharp.

Anyone with MiB sources hear anything different?

Archived