Parliament blocked, red shirts this time!

Faustian

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr T is such a love able guy.... :neener:

I think that they should elect Mr T the Thai president for life!

Of course I am referring to OUR Mr T....

gold chains, mohawk haircut, and attitude!

Can't be any worse than the folks they have picked so far!

"I pity the foo' that blocks the airport!"

That would be 10 kinds of awesome!!

:neener::clown::neener:

-=/NN

THE NATION

30 Dec 2008

Roles reversed this time around

Thai politics returned to the streets again yesterday when thousands of anti-government protesters surrounded Parliament and forced the new Abhisit Vejjajiva administration to postpone announcing its policy statement.

But the drama wasn't exactly the same as when Somchai Wongsawat's administration outlined its policies to the Parliament in October.

Now, with the shift in power, the protests have also changed. The "red shirts" who opposed the 2006 coup but supported the past two governments - also known as the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship (DAAD) and who support former PM Thaksin Shinawatra - are now anti-government.

The protest reminded people of their rivals, the anti-Thaksin "yellow shirts" who staged a blockade at Government House for three months and shut down Suvarnabhumi Airport for a week last month.

The red shirts yesterday demanded Prime Minister Abhisit dissolve the House and call a new election. In fact, it was a twit-for-twat tactic.

Natthawut Saikua, a leader of the DAAD, urged the PM and his Cabinet members to walk past the protesters in front of the Parliament.

Natthawut reminded Abhisit that when the PAD besieged the building on October 7 to try to stop Somchai's government delivering its policy statement, the then opposition leader greeted the PAD protesters before leaving the building safely.

"We stage a rally peacefully without arms and promise not to create any violence. When the PM can shake hands with the yellow-shirt protesters, why can't he do the same with red-shirt protesters?" he said.

Meanwhile, the Democrat Party government has set up a war room at its headquarters to discuss how to cope with the protest. Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban called police chief General Patcharawat Wongsuwan and Suchart Muankaew, the metropolitan police commissioner, to discuss the situation.

A source said they thought the number of protesters would decline amid hot temperatures and sunlight. Moreover, with the New Year coming protesters may prefer to go home and celebrate the holiday and the protest could end soon.

The Democrats desperately want to announce their policies as scheduled as a New Year "gift" to the people. Under the 2007 constitution, the new government, which was sworn in last week, cannot formally begin work until its policies have been announced in parliament. The new government must present its policies to parliament by January 5.

After having to postpone three times yesterday, the government finally said it would announce them today at 9.30am.

However, there is obviously no guarantee that Abhisit would manage make his maiden policy speech.

A business owner in Thailand told me last night the problem could of been solved with 4 bullets

1 for Thaksin, 1 for his wife and 2 for his children and while I thought this was harsh I also thought it is probably true. On the other hand there has been more coups, impeachments, banishments than regular ending terms. If Thaksin would be gone there would be someone else they could focus their hate on. It is Thailand... people are used to their routines. Smartest people in Thailand are probably the bar girls as they have understood that "foreign investors" stand for growth in their personal lifes, lol

PM MR A is smarter than Mr T it seems (and has probably more respect for human life too)...

Please, don't kill Mr T now, he is digging slowly his own grave all by himself -> don't make him a "saint martyr" for the reds...(sorry RY: the commies of UDD)

:banghead:

Archived