English-teacher as a non-native ?

hello all, I wish English was my native language, because then it would have been easy to find a job in thailand as a teacher. I am dutch and I know my english is far from perfect. But, I am planning to improve my skills by following some courses from the cambridge university. My goal is of course becoming a teacher in Thailand.

But, first I would like to know if there are opportunities for a non-native speaker in Thailand ?????

thanks in advance,

mischa.

Opportunities do exist for non native speakers in English teaching roles. I know of Philipino, Dutch, German, Swedish, Norwegian and Danish teachers - and I'm sure there are more. Unfortunately, non native speaking teachers may not get the best jobs, but good jobs are still available.

For what it's worth, I have found the Dutch to speak the best English of all non native English speakers and you may be surprised ay who is Dutch on this board - their English is virtually native speaker level.

Stick

I once interviewed, and appointed an Indian teacher who applied for a position as a Maths Teacher.

Needless to say, everyone turned their nose up at the idea, so I said give it a couple of months then have a go at me.

I observed her a couple of times, not for maths but general class control etc, and the ankle biters loved her. The parents to came to respect her as a good and popular teacher.

Sorry, nothing to do with cloggies, I'll get my coat crazy.gif" border="0

First of all, thanks for the reply. I think I will give it a try in a couple of years.

I have already a bachelors teachers degree for business economics and some experience, so maybe that is in my advantage. I don't know.

Does it helps, if you speak some thai also ? not, that I do.

We probably can start a dutch settlement by now in Bangkok; looks like the dutch are high on the list of 'runners' from their country. I understand. As long as we are not re-creating some dutch weird behaviour and environment in Bangkok. Would not like to walk on "soi Amsterdam" with 'pannekoekhuis' (Pancake shop), 'maatjesharing' (Some awfully smelly fish) and the 'vakantieman' (Some weirdo showing on TV what awful countries you could spend your holiday in, like spain for instance).

That's why i did the runner myself...

Well, actually I am planning to open a franchise establishment of the 'bananenbar' in bangkok. I think it's an interesting concept, and I am pretty sure that it will be a large succes.

Tiny thai girls playing with large banana's.....mmmm...

just kidding.

mischa.

Just noticed you had a business degree. So why not try teaching business? The ESL certification can demonstrate that your English is good enough to teach in the language. ABAC (Assumption University nowadays) has lots of non-native speakers, even teaching English. They do have a Bachelor of Business Administration programme. Contact them about that. (Its an old Catholic school run by some brothers from India.)

I also noticed that you mentioned in another thread that you are qualified to teach business economics. Thus I assume you have a PhD.

There is a demand every once in awhile for a business professor. I'd suggest getting the Bangkok Post / Nation where you live (if you are in a decent MSA then you will most likely find a Thai Social organization from which you can get the papers). When I got the papers, it wasn't expensive, and it gave me a better feel for the place before I moved. Post will give you the educational jobs, and the Nation may give you other ideas for jobs.

<<burp>>

Archived