Birdflu warning for 14 Thai provinces

Central Scrutinizer

Birdflu warning for 14 Thai provinces

The Nation 17.01.2009 01:43

The Public Health Ministry has listed 14 provinces as at risk from a reappearance of the H5N1 birdflu virus.

"The cool weather provides a good environment for it," said deputy permanent secretary Dr Paijit Warachit.

He named Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Ayutthaya, Lop Buri, Chai Nat, Prachin Buri, Nakhon Nayok, Suphan Buri, Kanchanaburi, Nakhon Ratchasima, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen and Nong Bua Lamphu.

Paijit said he had instructed health officers known as "Mr Bird Flu" across the country to monitor for avian flu and infection in humans, especially in provinces where the virus appeared frequently.

He said the ministry was bringing in stricter controls, even though H5N1 infection in humans had not been reported for three years.

http://www.thainewsland.com/?l=en&a=377138

Luckily (for me anyway) there has never as far as I know been any outbreaks of bird flu in the Surin area. But then again it is rare for this cold weather to be extended for such a long period of time. I don't think I've used my AC or a fan for at least 2 months now. Seems the cooler weather is advantageous for the virus? Dunno. I thought it had more to do with wild bird migration patterns.

Archived