The Teacher's Monthly

Dear Coquet,

Sorry about that and my god I am not a young man but thanks for it.....btw, hats off to you for kayaking in England, I am an affecionado of the sport here, but a wimpy one compared to someone who would brave the cold and grey North Sea......Cheers and Ta!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

...my two little teenagers are

listening to me explain the subtle (far too subtle) difference between ?little?

and ?a little?....

This is a bit OT but I am reminded of an experience I had in Rainbow II recently.

There's a young lady in there who came over to me one night and we got to talking. Her English was better than average, turns out she's had at least one farang boyfriend and has a luuk kreung kid (one of you "cut and run" asshole cowards out there has a lot of 'splainin' to do, but that's a serpate topic).

Anyway one night I'm sitting there with her and suddenly she turns to me and says,

"Hey, I want to ask you something. Why do British guys say bored but American guys say boring?"

I might not have the exact word order (it's been a few weeks) but she did use those exact words (ie, hey, British, guys, etc) in that sort of sentence structure.

OK, so the premise of the question is off-base but I was almost struck dumb, from the richness and subtlety on several levels.

To make this more on-topic: she would probably make a great student.

Hi Phil

Congrats on some excellant info. But I do have some more questions and hope words of wisdom can fly in my direction.

I am seriously thinking about chucking in my job in the UK and moving out there to teach. You gave advice to someone else to get the qualifications first but

Which is the most recognised CELTA or TEFL/TESOL ?

What would be the difference in salary from having / not having the qualification ?

Are there any schools to avoid ?

You say one of the best ways to get a job is turning up at the front door but can a tourist visa easily be turned into a working one and what guarantee would I have that the employer would keep me legal ?

Thanks in advance

quote:

Originally posted by Doog R:

Hi Phil

Congrats on some excellant info. But I do have some more questions and hope words of wisdom can fly in my direction.

Thanks in advance

All your questions can be answered at ...

www.ajarn.com

Also check out the 5 threads under "Trip Reports" by itsmedave ... TEFL Int'l exposed. GREAT STUFF.

I'll meet you there soon.

CS

Archived