The Teacher's Monthly

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"What will America's legacy be?," pjacktpa? Hmmm, crushed the Japanese and German fanatics [and then rebuilt half the world], broke the Soviet's back, moonshots and likely marsshots, Tang, Teflon, Velcro, mass production, PCs, and, oh yeah, democracy [though most folks were and are a little slow to catch on]. Take your pick.

Pjackta said:-

True that, and good post, but the baseball hats and Mickey D references pissed me off, that's all.

The guy's jealous of America, most likely, and clinging to a past that can never be brought back.

What will America's legacy be? Well, judging by the lines of people waiting to get in, or those wishing to attend our universities or be cared for at our facilities, or those wishing to purchase our products, there's an awful lot of good to it.

I don't mind admitting it I do not like americans. My point that all you leave when your rag tag coalition of states finally crumbles (as it surely will in the fullness of time) will be baseball hats and Ronald McBastards still stands.

As for the ridiculous preposition that I may be jealous of america. ?????? You must be on some sort of mind altering subtance. I am a little envious of some of your scenery and landscape. The idea that I would like to live there or even visit it for more than a few days is almost making me fall off this chair.

Your point about attendance at american universities is one I shall address now. The fact that people want to attend is not because the institution is good but that it markets itself so aggresively. The university that I attended (Durham) has been in existence for longer than Europeans have known of the existence of Northern America.

It does not need to market itself, it is an educational and research facility, not a business!

All I ask is that you have a little humility, the USA does not have the right to police the entire planet, only the power to do so.

As for product purchasing I freely admit to actively boycotting "made in USA" items.

Why...... I believe some balance is needed and by not supporting the bully some smaller economies will prosper.

I still contend that British English is more widely spoken than US. Take India, Sri Lanka, South Africa, Botswana, these few alone make up an English speaking body larger than The US population.

Lastly I am well aware that the days of the British Empire are well and truly over. I am content to see that legacy though from Singapore to Sydney to Gabarone by way of Malta and Cyprus via oh you get the picture.

A final thought...... You too will one day be "the former colonial power". Better start learning Chinese.

Yo Coquetislander -

Fine, fine comback. I'm glad you have a sense of humor and are willing to stick to your guns.

Secession by any of the contiguous 48 states is hardly imaginable by any stretch, as we are all far too cash dependent on the federal government for that. For example, every time there's a natural disaster (or any disaster), states waste little time in requesting federal bailout money from Washington. Education, highway construction, housing for the poor, welfare? All those problems are drop kicked to Congress. What, you mean wean us off the teat of the federal government and thus compromise our state budgets? Are you mad? No way!! Now I HAVE heard the Rev. Louis Farrakkan wants to establish Montana and some other surrounding states as a new sovereign state for the Nation of Islam, but that's a whole new thread for a different message board, and I'm not about to go there, brother!

About the American universities, I was referring to the upper crust of academia, the creme de la creme of sorts, i.e., Harvard, Princeton, Yale, or M.I.T., Stanford, Cal. Tech., etc. These institutions need not market themselves so heavily per se, as opposed to the one you mentioned, as it is not even on the same scale.

I was amazed at how laughable the notion was for you to come visit or live in the U.S. for more than a few days. As an American, I immediately thought, "Why would he think that of America?" Look at all the culture you've been missing over the years, to wit:

- Ace Ventura;

- Air Jordans;

- Beanie Babies;

- Erkle;

- Furby's;

- Harley-Davidson;

- KFC;

- Power Rangers;

- Rambo;

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles;

- The California Raisins;

- The Wave;

- Tickle Me Elmo;

- Tractor-Pull Contests; and,

- Stupid-ass Mastercard commercials.

Don't forget either, we have American cusine as well. Yessiree, Bob! Did you know that when British heads of state visited President Roosevelt back in the day, he served them up delicious, down home, hot off the grille.........hot dogs! shocked.gif" border="0 Yeah, high falutin' folk, them Roosevelts were! laugh.gif" border="0

But just in case you ever feel like being like one of us, don't worry about buying an airline ticket. Just bring the fam to Paris and spend a day at EuroDisney! tongue.gif" border="0 Peace.

Yo Coquetislander -

'Scuse the misspells. It's comeback and cuisine. Ouch! blush.gif" border="0 Man, no spellchecker?!

Oh, and I forgot to add to the list of American cultural treasures...Madonna. She dresses like a whore but sings about being like a virgin. She's also a scribe of sorts. She wrote a book a few years back, although it pretty much had more pictures in it than words... laugh.gif" border="0

Hi,

Hadn't read this thread in a while, and am not happy to see what it has degraded into. At least it seems that you guys can see the humour in each others posts.

Still, pro/anti America discussions do NOT belong on this board. This discussion will end NOW.

BangkokPhil, maybe it would make more sense to start a new thread for every monthly (say "Teacher's Monthly Dec 2001" or something)? That way people might notice it a bit easier.

I didn't notice until today that you posted the November monthly, 10 days after you posted it.

Sanuk!

Yeah well said Khun Sanuk.

There's me trying to be serious for once and posting up something hopefully worthwhile and the thread gets hi-jacked. tut tut

I've a good mind not to write anything at all for December and you can all see what it's like to suffer.

quote:

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

Yeah well said Khun Sanuk.

There's me trying to be serious for once and posting up something hopefully worthwhile and the thread gets hi-jacked. tut tut

I've a good mind not to write anything at all for December and you can all see what it's like to suffer.

Bangkok Phil.....um, please may we have another sir???? I, like the majority of your readers, have found your postings to be a fount of wisdom re: teaching in los and look forward to the next installment. Please ignore the bleatings of Couquette(doesn't this mean a woman who flirts with men??) and the justifiable(IMHO) if misplaced defense of our country by jack-America needs no defending to anyone of his ilk, jack, let him or her be.....thanks again for the outstanding service Phil

smile.gif" border="0

Traveldog said:-

Please ignore the bleatings of Couquette(doesn't this mean a woman who flirts with men??)

Check the spelling young man! There is no "e" in my board name. I call myself coquetislander because that is the name of the island about 2 miles off the coast near the family home in England.

I used to kayak out round the island for exercise when in the UK.

Archived