FA Cup 4th Round - ESPN Star

Twin

I sent an email to the FA regarding the lack of television coverage of the FA Cup. I received this reply at 16:00 today.

Dear Mr XXXX,

Many thanks for your advice.

For the record the contracted party The FA had in place have a strong track record and have distributed both European Championships and World Cups in Thailand for the last 8 years. However due to the economic and political climate in Thailand, the party was not able to meet its financial obligations to The FA and we have therefore sought alternative partners. These discussions are on-going but [color:red]to ensure that we do not miss another weekend of FA Cup action, we have arranged for ESPN Star Sports to carry 8 live games this forthcoming weekend. We trust this eases your concerns.[/color]

Unfortunately, Iâ??m not able to reveal who originally bid for The FA rights due to confidentiality reasons but rest-assured we are working hard on a permanent resolution for the benefit of all Thai fans.

Kind regards

Stuart Turner[/i][/color]

Thanks for the info, Twin.

BTW, what's the FA cup? :smirk:

PS. Six posts in seven years, who's going to believe you? :rotfl:

PPS. As the server at M2N was once well paid to tell you, "Fcuk off, Twin." :)

PPPS. Welcome to the board. Lots of emoticons over here. :thumbup:

:drunk:

Inside jokes, sorry.

He's and old friend from another board. I hope he starts posting here more.

The M2N reference had to do with one afternoon at Morning 2 Night bar on Soi 4. After each round, we stacked up red notes on the table, but told the server she wouldn't get them as a tip unless she told Twin to FO. She couldn't bring herself to do it. Finally, when she was going home, she came back and asked for her tip. No way, we said, because she hadn't told Twin to FO yet.

She stood there, looking at the money, and finally blurted out: F....., fu....., f*ck off Twin! Grabbed the money and ran out of the bar.

Seemed funny at the time.

He's hard to piss off, although I try.

Same day, before the M2N incident, we stopped at Hillary Bar. Twin, Vox and I. Server came over to take our order and gave us the usual, "Where you from?"

When she heard, "America, America, America" she replied, "I like Americans but I hate your government."

All this before we'd even been served a drink.

Pretty sure she got a decent tip as well, for the amusement and having the balls to say it. :)

Was it Art Linkletter who once had the TV program 'Bargirls Say the Darndest Things?'

He was very upset at my coffee drink. And since he's so even keel usually, that's why it was fun. :up: :up:

I'm sure that is we put our mind to it, we could make a pretty good version of 'Bargirls Say the Darndest Things.' Most recent fav is in a bar where the AC was not working. I say something. The gal responds "Old air-con; new hot."

Cheers,

SD

Speaking of the FA Cup, what's wrong with flaming coffee drinks?

I always liked the way they did Irish Coffees in Hong Kong...for the show and effort value. Takes one's mind off ordering a useful drink like vodka.

PS. "Bargirls say the darndest things about Twin" could be a thread unto itself.

Well, that will teach me not to try to reenter the board with info that turns out to be inaccurate.

As I'm sure you know, the FA Cup matches were not televised this weekend.

I received this email from the FA Saturday afternoon.

[color:red]Dear Mr XXXX

Due to a last minute legal hitch, we were unable to complete an agreement with ESPN Star Sports for this weekend's Cup action. I realise that this must come as a complete blow to you and all other fans of The FA Cup in Thailand but the prospect of legal action in Thailand meant we simply could not get the games broadcast. I absolutely assure you that this will get sorted on a permanent basis before Round 5 but can you let any other fans with whom you're in contact, know the scenario.

I'm extremely frustrated that this has not come about as we've invested a great deal of time in trying to come to a stop-gap agreement and ESPN Star had invested time and money in readying their affiliates in Thailand to carry the games, but as I say the last minute legal threat in a volatile market has scuppered all our plans.

Regards

Stuart Turner[/color]

Hope they can sort it before Round 5.

Hell, I'd even buy SD a flaming coffee drink if that got the matches televised.

Archived