TEFL teacher, is there still hope??

thefezman

Judging from what I have read on this forum, im hoping Stickman, Whosurdaddy, Bangkok Phil and/or anyone else can help me out. Im coming to LOS in 2 weeks on a one way ticket. I have a tourist visa and im looking to travel for a while then find work as a teacher. Im TEFL qualified but do not hold a degree. Im wondering about the chances of finding a job?? A friend of mine is also coming and he is qualified to the same point as me (not much) and has bought a fake degree from Koh San Rd. Doesn't look like much though, is this the best route to take?? Or will I find work without a degree/work permit. I have about 4 months before my funds start running low so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

And by the way, Im not another hopeless 'teacher' looking for an easy life, this is something I want to dedicate myself to.

You CAN get a job without a degree, no problem. Some schools require a degree, other schools do not - this is inb terms of hiring you. But when it comes to getting a work permit, some schools find that they are able to get their degreeless teachers a work permit, while others do not...it all comes down to luck and the relationship that your school has with the Labour Department.

Remember, to get a work permit, you need a non-immigrant B visa so if at all possible, try and get one of those before you come and it will save you a lot of hassle later, should you decide to go down the work permit path.

Good luck.

Stick

I agree with Stick 100%

Remember also that looking the part is everything - dress smartly at the interview and you'll be fine.

I know a guy who's just landed a nice 40,000 baht a month contract with a Thai secondary school and they didn't ask him about any qualifications at all! They were just so desperate for a teacher.

thanks for the feedback, i think its may be to late to go for another visa but i will try..i take it you two both work in Bangkok at the moment?

If its possible maybe we can meet up and I can have a chat. I arrive in BKK 8th September, let me know

Cheers

thefezman

I came here seven months ago in similar circumstances to yourself, one way ticket, TEFL cert and no degree.

I had no trouble finding a job, love the teaching and have never looked back.

IMHO the most important attribute you need to suceed in the world of EFL is enthusiasm.

Fez:

Given the fact that many folks like to keep their anonymity you may not get an answer. Suffice to say that you can look at ajarn.com and get a good understanding of where you can be employed. Location wise, basically anywhere you want. Question is how good a job can you get and for how much pay? Welp, that's really up to you as there are so many factors.

Good luck,

<<burp>>

Archived