Temporary relocation to BKK

All--

Here's the situtation... I hope that some of you who have been here for years can share some "wisdom"...

I was offered a temporary relocation option to work in our Bangkok District...

We have five office in the Kingdom. The main office is at the Don Muang Cargo Complex (next door to the regular airport). The next biggest office is our customer center on Sukhumvit soi 14/1..

The company will pay 100% of housing expenses.. They will (obviously) ship all of my stuff to BKK for me.. I get the use of a company car.

The downside is that it's a three year deal. If I break it, I've basically permanently screwed my upwards career movement.

The pay? I'd get a 5% bonus.. So it would be my current US-based pay, plus a "relocation allowance" of 5%.. I still get 401(k) and bonuses etc...

What do you guys think? Three years.. that's only thirty six months... I mean BKK is great.. it's like Disneyland...

I went to Disneyland before... after the end of the sixth day I was ready to go home..

Advise? Comments?

--UPSer frown.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0

[ September 09, 2001: Message edited by: UPSer ]

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What company is that? BTW, do you need any people smile.gif" border="0 Just sounds a little bit too good to be true. You're not really asking anything, in case u didn't know, just showing off laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

stop ruin my day mad.gif" border="0

Sounds like a great deal. You can really save a lot of money living in Thailand for three years on a US salary. If the only drawback is the length of the commitment, my advice would be to go for it.

Would your deal include paid trips/downtime back in the States, or anywhere else outside of Thailand? Even if it's worktime, I think you might need a break once in a while. Speaking only for myself, I find it difficult to live in Bangkok and deal with Thai culture 24/7 month after month.

However, even if you could only leave a few weeks a year, surely you can suffer through three years in Thailand, believe me it will go quickly.

Thank you to all who posted thoughts..

For clarification purposes.. I read the contract again (sixth time) and found this part..

I am entitled to 22 days off per year. Plus all US AND Thai holidays... Not bad..

As far as "time-off" to go back to the US.. I doubt that.. Since I'd be based in SE Asia, I'd be traveling our SE Asia circuit which is Tokyo, Manila, Singapore, Jarkata and Hong Kong..

As far as housing goes, I called BKK office and found out that all of our US-national employees stay at the Bangkok Garden Apartment on New Sathorn Road..

--UPSer

UPSer........

if indeed all details in your message are true, and u r not smart enough to answer that question on your own, your employers ( UPS I may guess...) are paying way too much for your services.....401K a year+bonuses...ha...

I know plenty of experiensed freight forwarding/logistics business local farangs who would gladly accept the job for 10% of that amount......hope your employers know that too.....

peejoe--

Thank you for your "reply".. The post is seeking commentary regarding the viability of living in metro-BKK for a three year term...

I am quite confident that I am "smart enough" to answer the financial component of the question.. tongue.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0

I'd still like to hear from those of you who are in BKK for a multi-year employment contract...

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by UPSer:

I'd still like to hear from those of you who are in BKK for a multi-year employment contract...

I am now in the 9th year of a 2 year contract - it certainly worked for me, and I am one of those previously mentioned who would be happy with 10% of your salary - though I do get better holidays!

If you like city life then I think Bangkok is a fantastic place to live. Despite all the little anoying facets which you read about here, most of which can actually be amusing too, then it is a very easy, and safe, city to live in. As a base for travel elsewhere it is quite superb and some of its other attractions are fairly obvious.

The only questions i would ask are a) what (else) do you like to do for fun and B) are you coming here alone or with family?

LG

UPSer -- Don't you get it? A couple of the previous posters are a little pissed and green with envy because they think you make 401K per year. Can't really blame them, especially if they're not from the States and are unaware that a 401K is a company administered retirement fund and is not the amount of your annual salary. crazy.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by CondomKing:

UPSer -- Don't you get it? A couple of the previous posters are a little pissed and green with envy because they think you make 401K per year. Can't really blame them, especially if they're not from the States and are unaware that a 401K is a company administered retirement fund and is not the amount of your annual salary.
crazy.gif" border="0

Thanks for that CK! I thought it seemed a lot for a baggage handler!

LG

Archived