Temporary relocation to BKK

UPSer - I am presently living in BKK on an open-ended assignment that is almost exactly identical to what you describe - I travel throughout Asia, but am based in BKK with a company car and company-paid mobile phone, and fully-reimbursed medical and dental care. Almost the same compensation package (I have a little more upside potential in the bonus category, but that doesn't mean much in the current world economic downturn).

In case you don't realize it, you get a $78,000 income exclusion from US Federal Taxes, begining the first year you spend less than 35 days in USA. That makes 401k participation less significant, although that depends somewhat on the level of company matching contributions. Along with not paying state taxes (or - are you planning to maintain a home in USA?), you come out way ahead here. All I pay is Social Security and Medicare taxes.

I sanuked around like crazy for about my first nine months here, then settled down with a "keeper".

I've never spent a boring minute here in BKK. Just walking the street is interesting - where else can you feed an elephant at nine o'clock at night right out on your own street?

One thing not mentioned - what is your alternative - what will you do for the next three years if you don't come to LOS? I suppose there are better situations somewhere, but I can't think of any.

Cheers!

Bangkok Butterfly

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My obsession I mean hobby is running. The one thing I don't like about BKK is the relentless heat! On vacation I jog on the treadmill at the Landmark or other hotel type fitness center. I guess with golf the heat is not so bad...

Anyway...that would be my only reservation. Otherwise...I too wish I were in your shoes!

Teenee -- Have you tried running in Lumpini Park? If you're there early in the morning or in the late afternoon, the heat's not so bad, and the park is beautiful. IMO, golf is best played early in the morning also, nine holes, before it gets really hot.

UPSer -- So, what did you decide?

• 2 weeks later...

All--

Thank you for ALL of your comments, thoughts and suggestions....

At this point, I HAVE decided to enter into "contract negotiations" with the Company. If we can both arrive at a mutually acceptable compensation/work pacakge I will accept it.

The deadline for contract writing is April 01, 2002.. The position would start July 01, 2002 and run for a full 36 months with a two 12 month extensions possible..

I will advise as details are available

Again, thank you all!

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Archived