Temporary relocation to BKK

All-

It appears that there some confusion about the renumeration package...

I'll disclose it here.. The annualized salary for my postion of International Air Operations Mananger is in excess of US$65,000. The 5% relocation is based off this #..

The 401(k) is NOT the salary but a retirement program that the company will offer (and partly fund for me).

As far as my status: I am single, never married, no children.

What else do I do for fun: more traveling, a good game of golf are my personal favorites.

My main area of concern is NOT the $$$, but rather the experience of living F/T in BKK/TL.. I'm there in BKK maybe 2 or 3 times per month for a few days each time... But that is totally different that living each day in BKK..

Any other of you have thoughts? Areas that were a problem? Unexpected problems or benefits?

All comments welcome.

--UPSer

PS: Even our loaders "baggage handlers" are paid at better than $26/hr. laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: UPSer ]

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rictic--

7 years???!!!

My god, if I were in bangkok for SEVEN years and I came home to the US I'd drive on the wrong side, never eat.. only snack, never sit on my couch.. only squat on the floor, have the worst telephone manners, shower five times a day, everything would be "hey no pom-pom" and lastly... Everytime I saw a crazy person I refer to him as yaabaa farang... LOL

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

UPSer...

I was one of those who were confused regarding the 401K issue....(CK, thanks for the clarification)and my previous comment did not intend to offend u in any way...simply thought that a 401K package is a "no brainer" i.e. pack and come over !!!!

now that its clear:

I m here 12 years and loving every minute of it (almost...). Life are extremely convinient for Expats here on these sort of packages. It does take some time to get used to the way of doing business here, but this is a learning process which u go thru anywhere new (might take a bit more time here thouhg...)

On the personal level, it will be very easy and quick to "acquire" a circle of friends among the expat community here as we all hang out in the same places, belong to same clubs, drink in the same bars etc'.

Bangkok offers all that a modern city has to offer, at much cheaper prices.

Thailand is a golfing heaven and as a golfer you will find litteraly dozens of great courses around BKK alone.

Travel is easy and cheap. Weekend aways on the islands or any other parts of the country are a part of life here, and with a package like yours, it will be affordable.

If I was you (and I was 12 years ago):Single, young(?), no family / kids and other serious commitments - I would come.

Time passes here amazingly fast and when u look back at it, 3 years will be like 3 months.....

Will buy u a drink if we pass each other way someetime........

UPSer,

Just in the last month of completing my 3rd year in the Kingdom. Whether you can live her or not has a lot to do with discipline. If you have to work every day you probably have to refrain from taking part in the nightlife during the week, or you must have very strong legs to stand on.

On a certain moment, the attraction of the nightlife wears out, at least it did for me. You have to find other social activities then, sports or something like that, otherwise you end up buried in your hotel room every night.

and... there is a risk that you don't want to leave anymore after 3 years in Thailand. The relaxed lifestyle, relaxed speed of things on your work here may give you another perspective on life in the fast lane. (It did for me, working for 20 years as an IT rpofessional in Europe and South-Africa, living life in the very fast lane).

I'd say that it depends on the available position. Measure your long-term objectives against the skill-set that is needed out here and determine whether or not coming here will be a plus or a minus for your career.

One of the benefits I've seen for those folks coming out here is that they get a lot more general management experience than they otherwise might have had back in the larger offices.

I'm a couple of months into my third year here and, although my situation is different than yours, I don't regret being here one bit.

Cheers!

Hi,

"What do you guys think? Three years.. that's only thirty six months... I mean BKK is great.. it's like Disneyland...

I went to Disneyland before... after the end of the sixth day I was ready to go home.."

Yeah, but you did not work in Disneyland did you?

Having a job and regularity in your live makes a big difference here. You will not be on a vacation, you will be on a 9-5 schedule. Live here becomes pretty much the same as everywhere else: get up, work, eat, relax, sleep, and repeat until the weekend.

For me this would be a no brainer.

Sanuk!

hehehe I too was fooled with the 401k. It wasn't the first 400k that was bugging me it was the final $1000....how the hell did they arrive at that figure was my vexation .

Anyway (now that is cleared up), If you want any baggage handling then drop me a note. Are the requirements still dyslexia (resulting in an ability to send bags to anywhere but the right place)and handling ability on a par with the English cricket team ?? smile.gif" border="0

UPSer,

You have an opportunity that few are offered and many here crave. My simple advice is: Jump at the chance, take it.

And keep us informed how it goes....

You may also be interested in this week's Stickman column in which he compares the lifestyles of several expats in BKK.

J22J

Archived