Betrothal/engagement in LOS

drogon

Sorry, what I meant was the following:

If I ever find a job in LOS -> we get married ASAP

If, for whatever reason, the economical situation in LOS turns really bad -> she will come work in the west -> which means marriage too...

Otherwise, we will realize the project we planned and that means marriage in one or two years max.

World economical situation is very sad but we are both able to find a decent job pretty much anywhere (except Asia ATM for me)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Northern and Central also Bangkok* Thai = 10 times likely monthly salary of the sinsotted female

Actually I have never heard about this 'betrothal' thing in Thailand.

Sinsot was about bang on what I paid. But my wife discussed with her Mother what amount would be 'appropriate' and provide the necessary 'face'. She offered it all back to us after the wedding, but we refused of course. Bugger!

On the betrothel bit, I have no idea. But my wife and i once we agreed to get married had to do this simple ceremony at the home with the family. It was rather nice. We all dressed up in Sunday best and my fiance and I had to kneel in front of the parents and grand parents, and it was my duty to promise to look after her etc etc. I guess it was all part of getting her parents permission / their blessing etc.

No gifts or money involved.

All quite sweet and sincere really.

When I married my missus a Northern Thai Girl North Uttardit towards CM not Issan) we did Amphur in Bangkok, some of the family attended then we had a dinner at Siam Square in the evening.

No sinsot at all, pre discussed with Mrs and family, promised to help the family as finances permitted and they did the same. I helped Ma and Pa and they lived in comfort until they died last year.

When I got into some financial difficulties in the UK a couple of years back the family clubbed together and sent a large sum of money 'a future for them'. Pa even offered to hock the land (I refused) so talk to the future Ms Farang, sort out the wedding and not be taken in by the "You have to Pay X Millions because your future father law thinks he's Hi So.

It all down to you!!

"On the betrothel bit, I have no idea. But my wife and i once we agreed to get married had to do this simple ceremony at the home with the family. It was rather nice. We all dressed up in Sunday best and my fiance and I had to kneel in front of the parents and grand parents, and it was my duty to promise to look after her etc etc. I guess it was all part of getting her parents permission / their blessing etc.

No gifts or money involved.

All quite sweet and sincere really."

My friend did this type of a ceremony in Buriram. Maybe an Issan thing? He felt that it was face saving for the family. She has a child. He has put money into the house and bought a motorcycle and bicycles for the family and maybe that takes care of the sinsot? Or can sinsot only be a wad of cash.

I like your ceremony idea. It probably has no legal ramifications. The last time I went to the village it got back to me that there was no ring on my finger. We are not married and it might be a face-saving event if we were to go through something like this..

zen

I like your ceremony idea. It probably has no legal ramifications. The last time I went to the village it got back to me that there was no ring on my finger. We are not married and it might be a face-saving event if we were to go through something like this.. zen

It was just the engagement ceremony. later that year we got married in Oz and then had a religious ceremony in BKK as well.

Archived