"Sin taxes"???

drogon

I was puzzled reading the BKK post this morning...

I was wondering what they meant by "sin taxes",

Mr T-sin? The nightlife venues would be taxed more?

Anyway reading the article, if it happens my guess is the nightlife venues will raise prices as alcohol would cost more....

'Sin taxes' almost certain to rise in review

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/economics/11834/sin-taxes-almost-certain-to-rise-in-review

-------------------------------------------------

The Finance Ministry, faced with falling tax revenues and a widening budget deficit, is reviewing excise tax rates across the board for possible increases.

Taxes for some products, particularly "sin taxes" for cigarettes and alcohol, are almost certain to be lifted following the review, which will cover all 21 items currently taxed under the law.

Other products that are subject to excise taxes include granite, oil, electrical appliances, cars, golf courses and horse racing tracks and massage parlours.

Pruektichai Damrongrut, a deputy finance minister, said the review would revise tax rates in line with economic conditions. "We are not looking to increase the burden on businesses," he said. "But some items, such as carbonated drinks, do have further room for tax hikes under the law."

Mr Pruektichai added that an investigation by the Excise Department into tax collections on entertainment venues led to inspections of more than 140 venues from 9 pm to 2 am.

Most had been found to have registered illegally as restaurants rather than entertainment venues subject to a 10% excise tax. The inquiry is part of a review following the Santika fire that killed 66 people on New Year's Eve.

Archived