Nok Air vs. Air Asia

Hugh_Hoy

Air Asia is a sort of like riding the Subway. Flights often do not leave from assigned gates: you are bused to the aircraft. They have begun to assign seats lately for a premium. The seats only recline one notch which I think is a good thing but others may disagree.

You have to pay for everything, even water. they rigidly enforce weight restrictions, including carry-ons.

My experience is that they have a pretty good on time record.

Basically, not bad for short flights.

I have only flown NOK once to Udon, nothing stands out in my memory of that except that you do get some degree of personal service.

Nok - I love Air Asia for all the above - however the worst is their record of canceling flights which is pretty poor compared to Nok.

That said - Air Asia do send you a SMS to your mobile telling you the flight is canceled or delayed which is a good service.

Nok - far better.

Timing is my argument number one.

Next trip back from Europe fly in into BKK at 7.15

first flight out to Udon is Thai at 9.45 from Swampy (as of March 29 Thai uses Swampy at last)

Next is Nok from DM at 12.20, followed by Air Asia at 16.15, be assured the Thai is the most expensive (3.5K B business class, have 30+kgs luggage.

Last trip into LOS went for the Nok plus 12.20 flight because Thai 9.45 at DM not possible to connect.

On my way out decided to fly Air Asia, take early flight out of Udon 8.35

Nok first flight is earlier, 7.30tisch, don't want to get out of bed that early to drive to Udon

Very cheap Air Asia, only 815B, it's a bonus.

Will have a beer and a shower at a friends place.

Other option was to fly Nok 14.00 to DM, taxi to Swampy and just sit as a duck at the new airport, better then would be Thai going Swampy around 15.00 but 1k more expensive, no taxi expense to consider(I can order free limo flying Etihad)

Money comes second, I don't give hoot for branding on a 1 hour flight.

Air Asia has far more destinations. I'll probably fly Nok to Chiang Mai next time, simply because Air Asia makes you go all the way to Swampypoom. I live much closer to Don Muang.

p.s. Air Asia is sort of like flying "steerage". I've yet to fly the Bird.

Archived