CEF-3 ??? Ceftriaxone (as disodium)

thalenoi

Does anyone know what CEF-3 or Ceftrtriaxone (as disodium) is?

My gf was in pain saturday and I brought her to the hospital. She received an injection of the above (250mg), two more boxes for the two next days and some other medication i do not have here with me. She claimed to be in pain at the under part of her belly (female problems)

Suinday we went to the local dispensarium to get the second injection, but the place was closed. This morning her menstruation started and she refused to go back there to get injection number two claiming that would kill her. I found this rather stupid. I forced her to back there, we talked with a nurse sitting on a motorbike ready to leave. From what I understood, the nurse said it was ok to perform the injection, but then my gf decided to leave and said she would continue treatement once her menstruation is over.

Does anyone have a clue here? I regret I did not insist any futher.

Hi

My wife is a Pharmacist. I'll ask her tonight. Won't have a chance to post until tuesday night though. Shall get you an answer then.

Ceftriaxone is an antibiotic.

Generally speaking, it is rather stupid to start a course of antibiotic treatment and then wait until the menstruation is over.

In this case it is hard to give advice. Was an infection diagnosed? Or was her pain just related to her menstruation? What about the dosage - I understand it is 250 mg per day for three days, rather unusual.

My best guess that they really found an infection, she should talk to the doctor again about the therapy.

Mr wife says:

it's an antibiotic

i think the doctor. can find that her pain =from bacteria infection

it's normal ka for genito-urinary bacteria infection

normally we use antibiotic tablets

but to use an injection=faster in killing bacteria

and cef-3 =good ka

Me again...she also says if you have any concerns...check with the Doctor...hope this helps:-)

To all: thaks for the info.

I remeber she has these pains every month before her menstruation, butb this time it was more. We are together since 4 months, I do not worry to much for myself but will have myself checked for VD's anyway.

What really puzzles me is this thai attitude or superstition that medication can kill you whilst you have youe menstruation period. And it is a pitty she stopped treatement for 5 days or more. Try to convince her to go on afterwards...

Quote "What really puzzles me is this thai attitude or superstition that medication can kill you whilst you have youe menstruation period"

Can't say I have ever come across this!

How well educated is your g/f? Is she a country girl? I have heard of things like that with Hilltribe etc...but never a city girl.

Maybe you could hold her hand, take her to a Doctor and get him / her to explain to her etc that medication at that time won't kill her...Thai medical staff are normally very friendly:-)

It is an old superstition that can sometimes be found in rural areas and some religions-during menses a woman is in a weakened state and more susceptible to drugs, medications, etc. For something like gonorrhea, it is correct as blood is a good culture medium for the bacteria.

Hopefully the doctor in the ER did a GC/Chlamydia culture as a woman having pains centered around her menses can have something like endometriosis/adenomyosis that can present like a pelvic infection.

Archived