Wow, even if he was "told" to do it, Sen Dodd is so toast!

TheCorinthian

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/03/18/sen-dodd-admits-adding-bonus-provision-stimulus-package/

In a dramatic reversal Wednesday, Sen. Chris Dodd, D-Conn., confessed to adding language to the stimulus bill last month that exempted all bonuses that bailed-out companies had promised to employees before Feb. 11, 2009.

Dodd told FOX News that Treasury officials forced him to make the change.

Fucker should be ridden out on a rail!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find this entire witch-hunt silly. Wake up, people. While we are getting worked up over $165M in bonuses, AIG CDS counterparties are being paid the full value of their contracts. We are talking exposure of tens of BILLIONS PER BANK or hedge fund. These are counterparties that would have been holding worthless pieces of paper had AIG gone bankrupt.

All this executive bonus outcry is really ridiculous considering the many bigger problems we have. It's like we handed out $1,000 out to some family members with severe gambling problems and instead of keeping an eye on that, we're really pissed off because Uncle Louie gave $1 to his son for ice-cream.

Sure, it's "chump change". But it is also something politicians and greedy financial folks don't seem to appreciate: a principle. I'm not sure that a million $ bonus is a paltry amount for many of the recipients.

Bonuses are easy targets for lazy minds. I can understand how Joe Q. Public gets confused because we aren't expected to be sophisticated about finance. But we should have sent every politician to school for a week to get some basic financial literacy so we don't waste time over rinky dink crap like this. Obama is just as guilty as anyone for fueling the flames on this one and I'm disappointed.

What is the difference between using bailout money to meet contractual obligations to employees vs. counterparties? It is the counterparties that got us into this mess with their excessive leveraging. The contractual obligations to counterparties dwarfs the ones to employees. And they too would have been holding nothing had the bailout not happened. In terms of moral hazard, paying back the counterparties at 100% is just as bad as rewarding employees for taking excessive risk.

In principle, there is no difference between the two. The employee bonuses are a scam to distract us from the real robbery taking place.

Archived