Why are you a sports fan?

HeartThais

The topics on hobbies got me thinking again about an issue that's plagued me forever.

I've always wanted to be a sports fan. The thing is I've tried many times over the years to get into sports and just failed. I just can't get emotionally connected to adults playing with balls. I feel like an alien at live games when people are screaming and cheering. I tried joining in a few times but it felt totally fake so I just stopped going to live games altogether unless forced to for business.

I do admit I'm a fan of violence. American football and rugby are fun to watch but I could never really get that into a team. I watch a lot of boxing, MMA, etc. I can't really explain that either. So maybe it is just some kind of switch in my brain - a sports fan switch that is just off.

So what am I missing? What is it about team sports that makes you so passionate about it?

Guest lazyphil

i agree, this pathetic blind devotion to a team till the bitter end is sad when players switch from side to side without giving a toss about team loyalty while making a stash of cash, they must be laughing at all these goons who follow them and go on endlessly ranting on about team tactics actually being to unfit to run 10 yards themselves!!

The concept of a team in this day and age is about gone. I am speaking from an American point of view on team sports.

The athletes are in it only for the money and if the team they happen to be on wins what ever championship they play for, it's a bonus.

That being said, I have been a lifelong fan of my home football team. The thrill of watching your favorite team go at it against another and come out on top is a good feeling. Even though players come and go with either retirement or leaving for another reason, it is still my team and I'll support 'em, win or lose.

Now individual sports, such as golf and tennis, are just as much fun for me if not more. Some people just don't get into watching those 2 sports and I understand. Golf, for example, watching your favorite guy (or girl) go out and battle the course and elements sometimes along with trying to beat 140 other guys is exciting to watch.

Tennis, the one on one, slug it out, I can hit harder than you and still get it in stuff is fun to watch. I loved watching the McEnroe-Borg matches when I was a kid. Becker, Lendl......ahhh. The memories.

Anyway, getting into a team or your favorite player and following them and seeing success is exciting and something I enjoy.

Edit....the above is about pro sports.....college (American) football and basketball are another story. LOVE it. Great team sports.

Im also speaking from an American perspective here. I'm a huge sports fan. Mainly pro and college football and basketball, occasionally baseball.

I have a hardline view of rooting for teams. My rule is "You must cheer for your home state team". Even my user name on this website is connected to this mentality. The Badger is my home state university mascot. (Wisconsin) I'm sure this is similar in other countries where people cheer for their home city team. It provides a sense of being apart of something. People constantly use the word "we" when talking about their team. "We lost" "We're gonna kick their ass" Stuff like that. I try not to do that, it just sounds pathetic because Im not actually part of that organization.

Another thing that makes a difference is if you played yourself when you were younger. That way you understand nearly exactly what the player on the field is experiencing. A feeling of being impressed with the players skills also happens since professional players are far better than others. So its easy to look up to them and be entertained.

Many people dont understand the passion. I've heard one thing over and over "Does it matter if they win or lose". My answer is YES! Fan is short for fanatic, right?! :)

I'm not a sports fan except when it comes to Man U. When I was 5 my mother became friends with a neighbour, whose husband played in the Man U reserves. I don't think he made it into the first team, but I could be wrong, it was a while ago. Anyway, he gave me a Man U badge, the type you stitch on. I thought it looked very impressive. When kids later asked me at school, "which team do you support?" I would automatically reply "Man U". It stuck. I blame my mother...

Several decades later I'm still a Man U fan. It is the only team I will willingly make a journey to watch. The only time I look at the sports pages on the BBC is about Man U. I really don't care about anything else sports related. I'll maybe watch a few England games at the world cup, but that's always a thoroughly depressing experience, or I'll check out the Olympics for the spectacle. Otherwise most sports do very little for me.

like Faustian i support Man Utd(never Man U)

support of the Team runs in the Family and my 1st game was as a 13 year old on a balmy August night when Utd were in the old 2nd Division............i was hooked.

the singing,chantng,abuse,the whole atmosphere was incredible.

then i spent many years watching Portsmouth who were even more useless than they are today.

then the thrill of away games came into the equation.

leaving home at 6am and having an illict pint when underage was exciting in those days.

in the mid 90's i aquired a Season ticket for Utd and had many great days out with a good bunch of lads.

seeing Utd win a major trophy in Barcelona along with over 90,000 others was the highlight.

the 4 days spent with 40 other people was incredble.

being a Football supporter in my case is not just about people kicking a ball,it's about friendships you build and the good times you have away from the game.

Archived