Ankor Wat By Van

Old Hippie

not sure if theres a charge at the border for crossing with your own vehicle, i did it about 3 years ago and the road from aranya prathet to siam riep was diabolical, apparently it can be done in four hours now. bkk to aran should also take about 4 hours. if its a hire van, check if the company will insure you in another country first.

Old Hippie: Here are two links that will cover EVERYTHING that you could want to know about this:

http://www.talesofasia.com/Cambodia/Overland/index.htm

http://www.angkor.com/road.shtml

That first site is especially good, maintained by a farang journalist who lives in Siem Reap and makes the overland trip to Bangkok and back once a month or so.

I have not made the trip myself, but hope to in the next year or so. From what others, and that first website above, tell me, DON'T trust the travel agencies on Khao San Road. It sounds like the hassle factor can be reduced substantially if you just take a leisurely train ride to the border, cross over into Poipet, and spend the night there before continuing on.

Guest lazyphil

Old hippie, I agree take the train to Aranaya, then hitch a ride in a pickup truck, I loved every bumpy minute of it!!

Have a night at Aran not Poipet, Poipet looks like something from Mad Max

Enjoy!!

I went to Angkor 2 years ago overland in a van and it was one of the most exhillorating experiences of my life . I recommend it highly ! I took the van from Kho San Rd. early morning and the ride to the Cambodian border was smooth and peaceful but the rest of the trip was like a wild roller coaster ride on acid ! We switched vans for the journey to Siem Reap , this van was older but sturdy . I thought I was going to die at least 4 times during this crazy loop de loop and swore that I would never do it again but quickly changed my mind because all in all it was a great adventure ! And Ankgor Wat is incredibly beautiful ! I stayed at the guest house where the van finished it's journey and I was very pleased with the accomodations . I also found a disco downtown where I danced the night away with a lovely local lady who accompanied home for the evening . So do yourself a favor and take the trip !

Archived