How to stop WGA on Windows XP?

SpiceMan

My girlfriend has a laptop bought from Panthip. Since upgrading to the latest version of Internet Messenger, she now has a problem that Windows reports it is not genuine and the computer is less usable. Is there an easy way to restore full functionality to her computer? If I give her a windows serial number, will that work? Can a UK XP serial number be used on a Thai computer? One problem is that my girlfriend is in Thailand and I am in the UK so it is very hard for me to guide her. What exactly does she have to do to fix her problem?

My girlfriend has a laptop bought from Panthip. Since upgrading to the latest version of Internet Messenger, she now has a problem that Windows reports it is not genuine and the computer is less usable. Is there an easy way to restore full functionality to her computer? If I give her a windows serial number, will that work? Can a UK XP serial number be used on a Thai computer? One problem is that my girlfriend is in Thailand and I am in the UK so it is very hard for me to guide her. What exactly does she have to do to fix her problem?

"Can a UK XP serial number be used on a Thai computer?"

You can try and see if it will work. If not, she may be able to use the Windows 7 Release Candidate ( download ) until it expires on march 1, 2010. By then you should be able to find a valid key.

She probably can get the valid key from the seller.

I had the same problem and not to be a dick but I googled it and fixed the problem. It still shows up on startup and shutdown but is not there continously as it was before.

Here is the procedure and the link......as the famous saying goes, Google is your friend.

Right click on your task bar, click on task manager, click process tab look for the process with the name "wgatray.exe" right click on it and click end process tree, a warning message will appear click yes, the process will be terminated.

Secondly double click on my computer, double click drive C: double click windows folder, double click system 32 folder, look for two files, "wgatray.exe". When you locate the file, right click on the file and rename them to whatever you want.

Then restart your computer. Your computer should be in good state now.

Worked for me

Archived