Swiss Roger Federer wins his 15th Grand Slam Title!

Mentors

Switzerland's Roger Federer wins after a Hitckcock Final his 6th Wimbledon Title!

Federer : Roddick 5:7, 7:6, 7:6, 3:6, 16:14

The best tennis player of all times wins his 15th Grand Slam Title.

btw. the Swiss player is back as ATP Rank 1.

:bow::beer::chili::beer::bow:

Federer triumphs in another English epic

Roger Federer and Andy Roddick helped deliver an encore Sunday at Wimbledon as the Swiss prevailed 5-7, 7-6 (6), 7-6 (5), 3-6, 16-14.

A year removed from one of the greatest Slam finals ever, Andy Roddick helped deliver an encore Sunday at Wimbledon before succumbing to Federer 5-7, 7-6 (6), 7-6 (5), 3-6, 16-14.

It took the second-ranked Federer -- soon to be No. 1 again -- more than four hours to overtake Roddick.

"It was a crazy match, an unbelievable end," Federer said at the championship ceremony. "My head's still spinning."

The Swiss supplanted Pete Sampras on the all-time major titles list as he sat courtside, on hand for the first time since he last played at Wimbledon seven years ago.

ce and will.

Setting the record for games played, with Wimbledon's new retractable roof ensuring this year's epic would be played out in full light if need be.

Federer's serve proved equally game to Roddick's trademark first serve, as he recorded a career-high 50 aces.

But as shadows crept across nearly the entire court, Federer finally broke the sixth-ranked American, seeking his second Grand Slam title after winning the 2003 U.S. Open, for the first time in the matchttp://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/wimbledon09/news/story?id=4307143h.

:beer::beer:

He did well. It was a tough final and Roddick was on good form too. Not a classic sadly, which it should've been with such a score line, but well done to him. He is a great player.

Interesting - I didn't see it as it was on in the middle of the night here, but not a classic??

Looking at the scoreline that was my first thought.

Was it a "serve fest"???

You would have thought with such a scoreline in a 5-setter it would have gone down as one of the greatest finals ever. :dunno:

I posted this in the other tennis thready before this one was started.

" 07-05-09 10:48 - Post#791950

In response to SuaDum - Tennis: a classic choke/submission

Outstanding match !! I'm not really into tennis , but did see all of the 5th. Really good stuff. Kinda like mixing ALI-Frazier I,II,III all into 1.

BadaBing

I think it will be viewed otherwise...

Great match and the best of the tournament. Yes, the 89 aces together by both players shortened the length of this type of match...

But don't be fooled by the number of aces. There still were a great number of extended rallies..

Rodick never lost his serve until the final game of the match which is incredible in it own right after 4 hours plus of playing...

This was a much closer and better match than anyone anticipated. All the sets were naibitters with federer himself only broken twice..

There were no meaningless games ijn this one. One always felt that roderick had to hold his serve in order not to lose a set...

My guess this will be ranked up there as one of the best Wimboton finals ever as there were no lapses, constant pressure to hold serve and the longevity of the fifth set..

Last year final was better due to the circumstances but lets eee what people who saw both say in the next few days...

Definately one of the best grand slams ever; the feeling of who was going to win wasn't decided until the last point...

CB

CB I see your point. I guess I tired of the constant one sided service games. You could see the tide turning towards the end though, with Federer putting more and more pressure on Roddick's serve. Both players looked exhausted in the last few games. More a battle of wills and victory by attrition.

The reason I don't see it as a great final, or a best of all time, is that I feel and have felt for a while, Federer isn't at his best now. Sure he's still playing wonderful tennis, sure he's one of the best in the world now, but he's lost something over the last couple of years. It was a shame Nadal had to sit this one out.

I do think that Roddick played out of his skin though and it is nice to see him back to how he should be. He was amazing against Murray. I hope it hasn't cost him too much, it will have hurt to lose such an epic battle.

So a really good final, a great advertisement for the sport, an epic struggle and a wonderful spectacle to watch....but not the greatest.

Archived