Best And Worst Tourists

Steve

If it wasn't for the Yanks building the infastructure in Thailand, all the roads would be bumpy. There would be little electricity. And no running water.

I'm guessing this was meant as a funny and I missed it. I've spent many a night in the suburbs of outer Isaan with candles and a sponge bath. When the sun goes down, the lights go out. Dirt roads to get there and back, duay.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phitsanulok, huh ... I lived there from 1973 to 1978. JUSMAG numbered 50 GIs at the highest. I used to go over to drink their booze and watch the movies. I was buddies with the US brass, since I was a VN combat vet and still in the inactive reserve for a while. Their main function was as liaison with the Royal Thai Army at Camp Naresuan (and for a while the ""clandestine" training camp at the waterfalls that everyone knew about, since the Cambodians, Vietnamese and Laos used to come to town and go shopping). They coordinated equipment supply for the Thai Army, which was fighting the commies at Khao Kor. If the US did any developing, it's news to me. Same same at Lopburi, which is still the main RT Army base. As to Takhli, it was a little hole in the wall town with a small USAF presence.

My Mrs taught in Mae Rim in the 1980s. There is fark all there! Ubon and Udorn were major USAF bases, as was U-tapao. All this map show is a lot of one time US bases. The US did pay for the Friendship Highway across Isaan - since it connected the US bases and allowed the Thai forces to get to their borders quickly. As far as I can tell, the US of A didn't do much else in the way of "developing" the country, other than supporting the military governments of Sarit Thanarat and Thanom Kittikachorn.

Over and out.

French tourists seen as world's worst

It's BS. Only clichees.

Mongers :

Americans are superficial, dressed like shit, always complaining, boring with women and pathetic losers when it comes to getting pussy.

The English would rather get drunk and fight than fuck.

Italians are cheap and all talk no action, and think they have much more game than they actually have.

Turks are woman-hating sadists.

Germans are either pervert pedophiles or too shy to ask the waitress for her phone number (or both).

Russians are berserk and hateful flat-headed thugs involved in women trafficking.

Ect ..

Leave anybody out to insult ?

Agree that in every cliche and generalization there's a bit of truth though. I personally find those about Americans often right on the money. :grinyes:

By the way

NUMBER ONE thing that I just absolutely CAN'T STAND when I am traveling are those "Irish Pubs" usually loaded with beer drinking - hamburger/fish n chips eating yankees and brits. Just the mere sound of a fucking english-speaking tourist or expat whining and complaining is enough to send me into a tailspin of suicidal depression.

Happily those "Irish Pubs" haven't arrived yet in deep FSU. Anyhow the only westerner I see in Tashkent is me in the mirror shaving every morning.

Archived