2009 British Open

TroyinEwa/Perv

I never heard about a drinking problem anywhere in the American media or elsewhere but, if true, it would only endear him to the Scots all the more. He's been one of Scotland's most beloved adopted sons for decades. A Scot saying Watson had a drinking problem would be akin to gays who try to out celebrities and claim them as one of their own. Just kidding, I hear he's very much one of the boys. In Watson's day, it wouldn't be very wise for a golf writer to call the kettle black and publish that sort of story. That writer would never see the inside of a clubhouse again and miss lots of free drinks. ;)

Speaking of not being allowed inside clubhouses, I once had the good fortune (in the 80s) to drink with Paddy Hamner at Greywalls (the hotel adjacent to Muirfield) after a round. Same cnut who was secretary there and famously kicked Watson and Crenshaw off the course for goofing around, hours after Watson had just won the Open. He said something like, "the tournament's over boys." Anyway, he was telling stories while drinking his Wild Turkey someone in our group had the foresight to bring for him, and he had nothing but kind things to say about Watson.

Back to the point, if par is a great score, I think he can pull it off too. He knows his way around, executes shots and is even putting well. Almost as important, he seems to be managing his emotions very well. Nice to have almost all the fans on your side, but it might also feel like the weight of the world on your shoulders. I can only imagine. But you never know, someone could go silly low and change the game.

I have a golf commitment at 1800 GMT tomorrow, so I might just miss the last part of one of sport's greatest achievements ever. :banghead: Might be a good omen though. I had to work when Jack won The Masters in 86, at the age of 46, and only caught glimpses of the back nine from a bar in the Bradley terminal at LAX. :)

After 71 holes, Watson had it laid out perfectly (except for Cink birdying the 72nd hole). If he had a 2 shot lead going into the 72nd hole and still 3 putted, I would have cringed but still been happy for his achievment. After the 72nd hole, I don't think that there was anything left in the tank. Cink may have won it (and congratulations are in order for his first, and probably only, major) but I'm sure that the 2009 Open will be remembered as Tom Watson's miracle (or near miracle, to be precise)

I don't know how bad Watson's drinking problem was, but he quit drinking in 1997. I think it was more in the line of too much social drinking and maybe a couple of dinners where he gave a little talk and was sluring words. To the best of my knowledge, he never got a DUI or did a drunk Mel Gibson impersonation. I did a google last nite of "Tom Watson" and read some of the newspaper/sports articles in saturday and sunday papers. The only one I found objectionable was the article by the guardian, which baically called him a "stinking drunk" during his 10 year drinking period. Either the Guardian can get to the bottom of the truth that no U.S. paper can, or it tends to embellish half truths. I assume that the British tabloids treat the U.K. pro athletics the same. I'd prefer not to know much about any sportsman's private life (unless they do something of public record) but then, I've never pointed to them as role models.

Actually, my only brush with Tom Watson, other than seeing him at 3 British Opens and one senior tournement in K.C., was almost runing over him with my van about 15 years ago as he came out of a resturant in the Country Club Plaza area of town (a very upscale district of K.C., built in 1920 and modelled after archetecture in seville, spain). I didn't stay around to introduce myself.

I've never met the man either. Some local old guys who went to HS with the former GM of the Chiefs used to go to KC annually and Watson would play golf with them and stuff. Doesn't speak to anything untoward.

Today was a double whammy for me. Got dragged from the bar to the 1st tee after Watson's approach to 18. Figured he'd get the up & down, but we all know the result.

Then, to add insult to injury, I'm back in the bar after my round and Mallinger is making birdie to go to a playoff in the PGA Tour event, which he also lost.

Watson is a universal favorite, but Mally lives right down the street from the course and everyone thinks he's their best friend, so it was almost as fun to watch and almost as disappointing. :)

Archived