2009 British Open

TroyinEwa/Perv

Brings back momories of his first round play at the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach several years ago. Also being from Kansas City, I'll be rooting for him. He had major surgery on either his hips or his knees about 8 months ago, so 4 days of walking is going to be rough. He plays very well in bad weather, so here's hoping for at least 2 days of it over the next 3 days.

Watson had an up and down second round, birding the first hole, then bogeying 4 of the next 6 holes. He then birdied the 11th, 16th and 18th holes, to finish even for his round and 5 under for the tourement and tied for first. The other story is Tiger is in danger of not making the cut, which would be only the 2nd time in his pro career. At the time of this posting, he has 3 holes to improve from a plus 7. If Watson can hold up tomarrow, I like his chances on sunday.

Wow.....looking at the leaderboard, it looks like a leaderboard from 20 years ago. Watson-59 and tied for the lead, Calcavecchia-49 and in 3rd alone, Goosen-40, Jimenez-45, Vijay-46 all tied for 4th. Great to see this. Hope the "old bodies" can last through the weekend.

Shame Tiger is out. I'm really gonna miss him. :grinyes::neener::applause::rotfl::yay::stirthepo:mooning::wanker::liar:

There was a great moment when Watson was approaching the 18th green. He, the oldest in the field at 59, was walking with Matteo Manessero, the youngest in the field at 16 (who easily qualified at +1). The roar from the crowd grew louder and the kid started to drop back to let Watson go ahead, as obviously most of the cheering was for him, however it looked like Watson tried to tell him to just keep walking with him. Anyway he didn't and he even clapped Watson onto the green. Then to cap it all Watson sinks a monster put for birdie, same as he did on the 16th. :applause:

Tom usually bets on himself when he plays the Open, so he's likely to make a good chunck of change tomarrow. The weather is supposed to be windy but no rain until after 7:00 P.M. I'll stay with my prediction after the second round. He could be the first person to win the 2 Opens (regular and senior) in the same year.

The third post in this thread (if you consider saying you like his chances as a prediction that he would win; I didn't say I liked anyone else's chances). By the way, an interesting thing about Watson in Kansas City is there was never a report about his drinking problem by any of the K.C. media. That would explain his case of the "yips" after being one of the best putters in the game in the 1970's. I had to go to Edinburgh and have someone in a pub tell me that in the late 1990's.

Archived