Legendary CBS anchor Walter Cronkite dies at 92

cavanami

Crankcase was definitely anti-war. The Tet offensive was a major communist disaster, but the news reports played it up as an American defeat. (The VC were decimated and the NVA were not able to stage a major offensive for years afterwards.)

p.s. I had a friend who was a battalion commander in RVN. He told me he was at an official briefing one day and heard the Army release the latest casualty figures for both sides. He'd already seen the official figures, and his jaw dropped when he heard what the Army spokesman was saying. The US figures had been reduced and the Red figures increased. That was part of Westmoreland's "body count" fixation. Westie never believed in letting the truth get in the way of what he wanted.

For a different take on Cronkite, a professor of mine was 13 years old and living in Hamburg during WWII. He couldn't stand listening to Cronkite, because of all his propaganda during the war. Cronkite kept reporting the Allies were bombing rail lines when the truth was they were fire bombing the city of Hamburg trying to start a firestorm!

For a different take on Cronkite, a professor of mine was 13 years old and living in Hamburg during WWII. He couldn't stand listening to Cronkite, because of all his propaganda during the war. Cronkite kept reporting the Allies were bombing rail lines when the truth was they were fire bombing the city of Hamburg trying to start a firestorm!

As I understand it, The USAAF usually flew daylight raids against rail lines and other military targets. The RAF often flew safer night time raids that targeted the civilians who worked in factories.

Crankcase was definitely anti-war. The Tet offensive was a major communist disaster, but the news reports played it up as an American defeat. (The VC were decimated and the NVA were not able to stage a major offensive for years afterwards.)

p.s. I had a friend who was a battalion commander in RVN. He told me he was at an official briefing one day and heard the Army release the latest casualty figures for both sides. He'd already seen the official figures, and his jaw dropped when he heard what the Army spokesman was saying. The US figures had been reduced and the Red figures increased. That was part of Westmoreland's "body count" fixation. Westie never believed in letting the truth get in the way of what he wanted.

Didn't Westmoreland count women, children and old men in his body counts?

Archived