Popcorn

Sarisin

I love going to the movies here in Bangkok. It remains my favorite date whether I am taking out a straight lady or a bargirl.

I also love to eat popcorn. You just can't go to the movies without eating a big bag/cup/tub/dumpster of hot popcorn. Kinda like hot dogs at a baseball game.

One thing I like about popcorn here in Thailand is the price. Nowadays in the US, you can pay more for the popcorn than you do for the movie ticket. The concessions are a big moneymaker for the theaters in the US.

Here you can get a very big bag (actually it is more of a cardboard carton or box) for 35 baht - less than $1.00 US. Often they will have promotions where you can get a huge tub of popcorn, a jumbo drink (usually Pepsi in a movie theme-related cup), and some sort of doo dad again having something to do with the movie playing. Keychains, comic books, note pads, thermonuclear devices. Things like that.

Ah, and the flavors of popcorn here are special.

None of that gloppy, soaked artificial buttery stuff like you get in the States - although I love that crap.

No, here usually you have salty or sweet.

Lately, however, I have noticed at the WTC Major Cineplex Theaters they have been trying an assortment of 'flavors.'

First, they had Caramel Popcorn which tasted like 100-year old Cracker Jacks. Without the peanuts and nifty surprise.

Next, they had Italian Pizza Pie Popcorn. No resemblance at all to any pizza I have tasted. But, it wasn't bad and I ate plenty of it.

Then, for a very short time, they had Strawberry Popcorn. The lady I was with had to try it, so we bought a small bag. It tasted like the Strawberry Kool-Aid Monster pissed allover it. Sweet, with a taste like toxic chemicals. Glad to see that one go.

Today, I went to see 'Time Machine,' and lo and behold, they had Mexican Fiesta Popcorn. Guess what? It tasted just like the Italian Pizza Pie Popcorn, which I think it was.

Oh well, there is always the Taro Fish and Squid Snacks. laugh.gif

I have started to enjoy going to the movies also, especially the Gold Class seats at EGV.

But, why do they need to show 30 minutes of trailers and commercials?

To get a decent seat to a first run movie now, you have to book/buy in advance, so I tend to come in about 20 minutes after the scheduled time.

Archived