Epilogue. For now. The BKK beer run blast-o-rama

dave32

Alright gentlemen, my apologies for not posting a conclusion.

The rest of my time in Thailand wasn't as frenzied as the first few days - but it was worthwhile and I should've took the time to sit and collect thoughts.

Spent a lot time in several Beer Bars (Big Dog, Country Roads, Gullivers, and others I can't remember now). As well as places like Bangkok Charlies, Spice, and Spicy. Met several expats (maybe some post here), most were interesting and thoughtful -- a couple were complete fucking idiots. Ditto with the other Farangs in the bars (except there was a much higher idiot ratio with the tourists, and yeah - I'm a tourist. Or something).

Should've written a follow-up while everything was fresh in my mind. A couple girls I found fascinating. One Isaan farm-girl who I found very sharp left an impression on me that surprised me. Can't explain. Ummm. One afternoon I had taken the skytrain to Siam Paragon to watch a movie (transformers, I thought it sucked)... and after the film I was walking around with a girl I had met the night before at Spice -- and we went over to the park across the street (from Siam Paragon).

There were a thousand people doing an incredibly gay aerobics routine there. Something about it made me smile. And then I see the Isaan girl I had hooked up with earlier in the week walking up to a large statue at the park entrance that had a shrine in front (she didn't see me or know I was there). She takes off her shoes and lights incense in front of the shrine and does some sort of prayer/meditation. I watch for awhile. Then I continue walking with the woman I'm with. An hour or so later we pass by the same spot and the Isaan girl is still there, still paying homage to the spirits. I don't know why -- I'm an atheist -- but this scene touched me.

I went back to see her my last night in Thailand. And of everyone I encountered in the country, she left the strongest impression. One of those people that you secretly root for... you hope their life turns out well.

As to the person I was with in the park -- I'd crossed paths with her the night before at Spice (@ Ambassador, soi 11). Had gone there alone and there were three hotties at the table adjacent to mine with a couple ridiculous looking farangs wearing suitcoats and ties. The girl who was solo at the table motioned for me to come over and sit down. I did. She was half-drunk and told me that the two gentlemen were respected French businessmen (oh boy) and they were paying her friends 6000bht a piece. But, she would come with me for only 3000bht. I shot her a puzzled look. I had known her for all of 2 minutes and wasn't quite ready for such a formal negotiation.

Anyway, she immediately goes on to ask me for money to tip the band and for a drink. To which I dutifully replied, I need go to the restroom.

I relocate to the other side of the club. Two girls are dancing in front of me gyrating in a most incredible way and... it was good. I walk over. We talk. We drink. I dance with one, then the other, then both. Thank you God. The place closes. Where are you staying? I'm at this small place called Darjelling. Soi 18. Do you want company? Ummmm... (problem: I like them both). Momentary pause then they both grab my hand and we walk out to a cab. Cab driver looks at me and says: 'sir, you are a very lucky man.'

'Sir, I am king of the Jai Dee' (yeah, I learned a little bit during my trip). Cab driver and the girls liked that one. :)

It was a fucking awesome night. God damn it was a good night. Next morning one had to go to her job at Levis (or she said), the other wanted to hang around.

Lets go to a movie.

But I digress.

To wrap it up: There were things I didn't like about LOS. The sense I got that Farangs were perceived as wealthy and spoiled, therefore -- get as much as you can... seemed to permeate the air. Hell, some of the bar girls that were comfortable with me and friends with the spiritual Isaan girl started to openly boast in my presence about how many Farang boyfriends they had who were in love and sent them money. I asked: What do you do if more than one comes to visit at the same time? "Oh, that happened in December... I stayed with the one I like the most and told the other I had to take care of my sick mother." Actually, I didn't mind this kind of thing... it more of the cultural perception on a large-scale level painting Westerners as marks. Painting it your duty as a Thai to get what you can out of them. Eh... could do without that.

But there were a lot of things I liked. A lot. The rawness and open nature of the people and the culture. The sense of live for today (yeah, that can be a negative too, but i liked it nonetheless). And the fucking food. I can't find Som Tom like that in Los Angeles.

I'll be coming back.

In November.

See you kids in the funnies.

-d

"It was true that I didn't have much ambition, but there ought to be a place for people without ambition, I mean a better place than the one usually reserved. How in the hell could a man enjoy being awakened at 6:30 a.m. by an alarm clock, leap out of bed, dress, force-feed, shit, piss, brush teeth and hair, and fight traffic to get to a place where essentially you made lots of money for somebody else and were asked to be grateful for the opportunity to do so?"

-Bukowski

Nice follow up, have enjoyed both your reports. Thanks for them and your observations. I look forward to more.

And yes, why is it some folks insist on wearing ties/suits to nightlife venues...is it out of some pompous belief it makes them look like they are hiso or loaded? Does it work? I don't care...such assholes are clearly retarded...further evidence of which is their paying 6K for a freelancer whore..there's one born every minute...

Thanks Faustian. Meant to conclude my original trip report while in Thailand but just go caught up in being there. Back to LA in July and I changed jobs and went from living impulsively for a month to working brutal hours (hospital) under lots of pressure. I like aspects of both. Don't know if I'd have the balls to be an expat though. Mayber for a year, but not permanent.

Yeah, the French 'businessmen' were a bit much. So fucking be it.

CTO -- I liked Spice (soi 11) better. I thought Spicy was overrated. Too fucking loud. Too many Farangs trying to be cool and dancing round like a demented version of Justin Timberlake. And not in a self-deprecating way.

I read several bad reviews of Spice, but I had good experiences there. ;) First time I walked in the band was playing 'Whole lotta love,' by Zeppelin, then segued into 'In the club' by 50 cent. Very interesting dynamic. I was happy. Yeah, it's just a wee bit on the dive side, but I like that. But by the time I came home, I couldn't go there -- as soon as I walked in, a girl that I had hooked up with in the past seemed to know about it and would show up 15 minutes later and come right over to me. ugh.

"If you live in rock and roll, as I do, you see the reality of sex, of male lust and women being aroused by male lust. It attracts women. It doesn't repel them."

Camille Paglia <---- (ironically, a lesbian. i love her)

Archived