Thai customs etc, how long to get chked through

Last time i left bkk, i think in december, they were searching everyones baggage. Including checked bags, dump it all out or at minimum rummage around through them. Dont know if they are still doing that since we are getting further away from sept 11 now. But i would think twice about smuggling anything in or out of airports these days.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I arrive BKK at midnight aboard 747 but am flying Biz class (ROW 1).

1. How busy is airport at midnight?

2. How long should I expect to wait to pass through Immigration and Passport control?

3. Do they use two passenger ramps or just one at the Bangkok airport for 747s?

Thanks

PussyLover2

Based on my observations the **worst** time to arrive is between 10PM and 01:00AM... This when most of your inbound European and inbound North/South American flights are arriving.. Of course, many of these are via the larger B777/A340 and/or B747's...

I always tell friends to count on a wait of :30 minutes minimum to 1:00 (give or take) to get thru immigration. Of course, it all depends on how many people are in front of you, and the # of "lanes" that are open...

The wait for your luggage is no longer or shorter than at other airports of similar size (one caveat, IF you arrive at a REMOTE apron -- meaning you must board a bus to get to the terminal complex -- add a few minutes for your bags due to the distance)... Customs is a mere "walk-by"... All in all allow for a minimum of :45 to a maximum of 1:30...

--UPSer

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Try this at immigration;

1. Never line up behind Arabs or Africans (Sorry)

2. If a nearby thai line is empty but manned, have someone save your spot, and go ask the official if you can use that channel. If so wave your bud through too.

Hi!

In reply to:

Never line up behind Arabs or Africans (Sorry)

You could probably generalize that to "Try to find a line with only Western europeans, North americans or East asians, i.e. Chinese, Japanese etc.

I think nationality is much more significant than skin colour. I doubt if balck Americans would have problems anywhere close to Africans.

regards

ALHOLK

Getting through Immigration is dependent on how fast you are to the line.

In my experience the risk in getting through customs is getting run over from the people behind you if you slow down for the guy checking the bags.

The customs inspector's biggest risk is a sore arm waving everyone through.

why sorry sea-sider? who knows what might happen at the rear end of an Arab. steer well clear.

only bring hand luggage. hop off the plane and up the corridor (just long enough for a smoke if you're desparate)to the line of immigration channels. line up at a channel that gives you a good view of the whole area. as traffic builds immigration officers open new channels. watch what they're up to and you can zip over and get front spot in a new channel but you have to be quick and move ahead of the throng. get your stamp, check the 'admitted until' date. This saves at least 10 minutes and keeps things flowing (btw they've given me 30 days when it should be 60 or 90 on occasion), sawasdee krap and down the escalator, march briskly through the green channel handing in your correctly filled declaration form, out to the taxi rank and you're free. buy all your kit at markets and dept stores.

Archived