Thai customs etc, how long to get chked through

Forgot to mention:

The money exchange at the airport is a competitive rate with any of the banks outside.

Just a thought....Better than running dry or not finding a place to exchange right away.

Have a good trip!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The money exchange at the airport is a competitive rate with any of the banks outside.

Just a thought....Better than running dry or not finding a place to exchange right away.

Well, yes, but *all* money exhanges are rip-offs compared to using an ATM card. Both BKK and HKT have ATM machines, but they are (all?) located in the arrival hall, *after* new arrivals pass many money exchanges. My guess is that many newbies to LOS think "Shit, what if there isn't an ATM in the airport?" and conclude that they'd better be safe than sorry, so they go to the first exchange booth they see. Then they walk into the arrival hall and see ATMs all over the place. Aw, shit.

Hi!

In reply to:

[color:purple]
The money exchange at the airport is a competitive rate with any of the banks outside.
color=purple>

I don't doubt that this is correct for major currencies. Pepole from small countries should check the rates befor changing large amounts. E.g. SEK (Swedish krona) gets better rates at exchange boths downtown than at the airport.

Also before changing a minor currency it's a good idea to compare different banks.

regards

ALHOLK

Every airport I have been to does the same thing. Look at SIN, big exchange booths at customs, but ATM's are way down at end of Arrival Hall (to the left), outside customs. If you don't know where they are, you would have a hard time finding them.

TH

Fred Garvin or anyone with knowledge

Please answer me this question I was under the impression that the I got best exchange rates were if traded in travels checks. My bank will charge me $2 each time i make a withdrawal in Thailand. how much do the Thai Banks charge for me to use there ATM and what is the Max amount you can withdrawal a day? I plan on spending USD $1000 to $1500. My bank charges me 1% of the total to get travels checks. And then when i exchange them in Thailand i know i got a better rate than if I was to exchange US currency. I'm just trying to figure out if I would pay less and get more if i used an ATM.

Thanks in advance.

db_sed_aloha,

Thank you for the table. Looks like I'll just find a Thai Farmers Bank ATM and withdraw my money from that. Looks like the rate evens out because i would still get charged to exchange my travelers checks. Either way like you said a couple dollars is nothin to get worked up over.

Thanks again

T

I talked to my bank (Bank of America) the other day Well actually i talked to about 5 different people and the only thing they could agree on was that my card will work over there and I also was connected to the fraud dept so they won't turn off my card once they start to see all those withdrawals from the land of smile.gif 's. I called back a couple of times to verify what my ATM withdrawal fee would be from the bank and their answers ranged from $1.50 - $3.00. One thing I can say which has probably been said already is that doing the exchange of your US dollars into baht sucks if ya do it through your bank. The rate I was quoted on the 29 March was 39.42 your graph stated ATM was 43.42. There's no charge if your purchasing over $250.00 worth and they mail it directly to you or your branch. Don't know what would really be the use of that or why anyone would use them.

Thanks again for the URL's and info.

Hey Mr T

I think you are driving yourself crazy. Just by travelers checks. And use the ATM and credit card for back up.

I never had a problem getting a good rate on TC's including the airport in BKK. Just cash in $200 at a time, that way if you get ripped off you won't lose much. Send yourself an email with the numbers of the checks. Just set up a seperate yahoo or hotmail accout for this. Of cousre you can use a simple code for the numbers so no one can hack them. also leave a scaned photo of your passport with a friend. If there is a problem it can be emailed to an embassy if needed. But the bottom line is LOS is easy easy easy.

Archived