Thai customs etc, how long to get chked through

davegas,

yeah you're right it's not like I'm going to cash in a million. I only plan on spending around $1000 - $1500. So the rate no mater what i choose it's just gonna be a couple dollars difference. After all I couldn't even get a 3 min air/lap dance at Cheetah's for that.

Thanks again to all that responded.

* I touch down in BKK May 3... It looks like I'm just finding anything and everything to occupy my mind about Thailand even if it drives me crazy.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"One thing I can say which has probably been said already is that doing the exchange of your US dollars into baht sucks if ya do it through your bank. "

Bear in mind that the forex rate you get when using an ATM or credit card is detemined by either Visa or Mastercard, NOT your bank. If you go *buy* currency from your bank, then they'll screw ya. It used to be that you would get the wholesale (best) forex rate using plastic, but a couple of years ago they started adding a 2% charge. Still a good deal considering the convenience factor.

Also, make sure you have at least four digits in your ATM PIN before you leave. ATMs are plentiful in the tourist areas of LOS, you'll never have a problem.

Ask BofA if you can have your daily withdrawal limit increased, so if they do charge a fee at least you can withdraw a pile of baht each time and thus reduce your effective forex rate.

Hi!

I think this might depend on your destination. When I left BKK on jan. 20 they searched all checked in luggage going to London but passengers going to Stockholm only had to xray their bags as usual. I don't know about other destinations but during times of unrest like e.g the Gulf war security is reved up considerably on flights to north America.

regards

ALHOLK

In reply to:

db_sed_aloha,

Thank you for the table. Looks like I'll just find a Thai Farmers Bank ATM and withdraw my money from that. Looks like the rate evens out because i would still get charged to exchange my travelers checks. Either way like you said a couple dollars is nothin to get worked up over.

Thanks again

T

If I were you, on the way back I would definately change my money back to dollars while in Bangkok. (Keep enough for the departure tax.)

I was in a hurry getting back last trip, and had to convert my baht back to USD in Chicago (airport). I got screwed!!!

Converting something like 8000bt cost me like $20US ! ! Those Assholes!

Anyhow, just something to be aware of!

-=/NN

My only experience at Bangkok airport my flight arrived @11pm and the wait at immigration was only 15-20 minutes. Then I was waved through customs without even having to break my pace. Since I had only 1 carry-on bag I was out of there in a hurry.

Gwailo

ps. I'll try it again this July

Archived