I can't get rid of a worm...

soongmak

I somehow got my two computers infected with a worm that I can't get rid of. It has put a process in my windows folder, and it gets back every time I start my PC up. Supposedly because there is still a reg key that puts it back every time.

The file in the windows folder is called ssvichosst.exe. The worm also puts an exe file on my thumb drives, masquerading as a folder. It carries the name "new folder" and has also a folder pictogram in front of it. Very clever!

I have AVG, and it finds an infection every time, but never the files ssvichosst. Removing it manually or even in safe mode doesn't help either. All the info on the net on the "ssvichosst.exe" file is useless as it is nearly two years old. The most interesting linke for me was this page, but I don't have a reg key in the same folder.

Does anybody have an idea to get rid of this bug without doing a fresh install on two pc's? :banghead: I would be most grateful. :bow:

This link seems to give good and extensive instructions on how to remove the worm:

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-xp/fix-for-ssvichosstexe-missing-error-when-windows-start-and-remove-ssvichosst-virus/

Thank you for the link. Somehow it worked on my PC, but not on the netbook. I downloaded A-squared anti-malware, and it removed the worm from the netbook. Thanks everyone for their suggestions! :content:

I made a special Windows boot CD and was able to get rid of some nasty virus on a friend's PC.

I can provide a copy of the CD at a Friday chit-chat if you (and I) are in BKK.

Cav,

Thanks for the offer, but I won't be in Bangkok for the remainder of the year. When I do get to Bangkok, I will drop by on a friday for sure. :beer:

Archived