whats the best hotel in BANGKOK!..5 star etc....

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never stayed there, but the Mandarin Oriental is supposed to be very nice. I remember visiting the lobby with my European girlfriend when I was first time in Bangkok. Very impressive and a fine location on the river. I was last autumn to Bangkok for a conference which was held at 'merely' the Shangri-La, because Mandarin would have been too expensive. The Mandarin Oriental in Manila (Makati City) was really nice, at least.

Their cheapest single/double rooms are in their Web reservation service available at USD 189++ (have to add 10% service charge and 7.7% government tax).

Wagner

Hello

The Oriental was considered the best from 87 to 95 or was recognized as in the top 3 hotels world wide. Since then it's in the top 10. Rooms are from around 200 us to 1000ss. It's a cool place to stay. You are greated by doormen/women to a atrium about 3 stories high and couches and gardens in the lobby. To your right is the front desk and services counter. One of the worlds best french resturants is in the hotel called "Lord jims". The bamboo bar is a kool place for afternoon/night jazz. Across the river is the massage area. From around 30 us you can get a great massage/facial/wrao/etc.. This is a must! You have to get a massage here. Teak decor and traditional thai atmosphere makes it the best place for a massage in Thailand.

SkiBum

Forget it. I've stayed there. This is aplace for bringing your significant other for a romantic get away ... not a place for fun. Not guest friendly and way too stuffy. If you want that kind of luxury, well, close anyway, try the Penninsula.

Though, if you're reading this board, you'd probably be happy with JW Marriott.

Guest Friendly J.W. Marriott....Sukhumvit...Around the corner from Nana etc..The girls love the big bath tub and shower....Lot's of toilet articles etc.....The ladies try and get invited back!

I done other 5 Stars and they are very unfriendly to guests.

The J.W. let me bring in two cuties in mini skirts/platform shoes..No Problem...Had a drink and snacks in the Bar

before heading to the room......Wait staff was great, respectful to the guest and his friends. I think the J.W. realizes that they are the High End Boom Boom Hotel in Sukhumvit...

I agree with you; stuffy is the right word. When you get to your room, you will see a rule that no one is allowed in the lobby after 6pm wearing sandals, shorts, or shirts without collars!

The thing that struck me are the rooms. There are two buildings; the original one with smallish, aging elizabethan type rooms in decent repair; not my cup of tea. And then there is the new building with very plain rooms. In fact, the new building was originally built to be a different hotel and by the look of the rooms, probably 3 star. For instance, the bathroom is just a tub with shower curtain! Also, there are NO king beds in the whole place! Instead, they pull the 2 twins together and put a thin mat across them at night. There is also very poor sound proofing to adjacent rooms. The Oriental apparently bought out this building and as this is the larger, cheaper place to stay of the two is going to be where most people go.

Internet access is not very imaginative either. Dialup by modem, tiny monitors, black and white printer. Yeay.

On the other hand, the food and the service are as good as it gets at the Oriental. You basically get a butler that takes care of everything. Each time you leave the room, it is serviced! The staff is extremely attentative and speak better english than most native speakers. This can be a good thing one one hand, but also gives less of a feel you really are in Thailand.

If you are into great facilities, this place leaves a lot to be desired; try something like the Peninsula or Grand Hyatt Erawan and then come over for 5 star dining at the Oriental.

Archived